Thread: Remote control for PC through Nexus IR pass-thru

Automated Home Lurker

Default Remote control for PC through Nexus IR pass-thru

Hi there, I am shortly to commence a self-build home project and I'm considering installing the Nexus set-top box to control DVD, Sky, 2 x Freeview (1 for radio) and my rather bloated MP3 collection on my pc . Does anyone know of a ir remote controller that will be able to start a program such as Musicmatch or Windows Media player and allow the user to scroll through it and select a track and so-on via the ir pass-thru facility in the Nexus, I have considered using an IR Keyboard utilising the shortcut/hot keys along the top however a keyboard in every room will not bode well with the boss! Am I right in thinking that with one remote I would be able to copy the signals to universal remotes around the house?

Cheers

Dunks

Automated Home Jr Member Wolfthing's Avatar

Default Re: Remote control for PC through Nexus IR pass-thru

Could you provide a link/details on the Nexus set-top box?

I was about to trial a bit of software that runs over Wi-Fi from my PocketPC. It enables to control a PC running MS Media Player. It's called Rudeo. http://www.pocketgear.com/ppcw/softw...l.asp?id=11931

Wi-Fi has the immediate advantage over IR that it'll work all over your house - which'll pls the missus...

Automated Home Lurker

Wolfthing, Cheers for that, try www.AVnex.co.uk or www.home-control.co.uk.

Dunks

As an alternative of actually controlling your PC, have you considered using a digital media adaptor (which reads off your PC) to play your MP3 and other media files?

There are now quite a few available with video out and IR control.
    One that has been reviewed on this site is the Pinnacle Showcentre http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/article-1430--0-0.html which will play MP2/3 files, MPEG & MPEG2 Files, DIVX etc together with picture albums JPG etc and internet radio.

If you purchase the September issue of digitalhome they have reviewed 14 of these devices.