• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dunksfirth
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2004

Remote control for PC through Nexus IR pass-thru

Hi there, I am shortly to commence a self-build home project and I'm considering installing the Nexus set-top box to control DVD, Sky, 2 x Freeview (1 for radio) and my rather bloated MP3 collection on my pc . Does anyone know of a ir remote controller that will be able to start a program such as Musicmatch or Windows Media player and allow the user to scroll through it and select a track and so-on via the ir pass-thru facility in the Nexus, I have considered using an IR Keyboard utilising the shortcut/hot keys along the top however a keyboard in every room will not bode well with the boss! Am I right in thinking that with one remote I would be able to copy the signals to universal remotes around the house?

Cheers

Dunks
  • Wolfthing
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2004

Re: Remote control for PC through Nexus IR pass-thru

Could you provide a link/details on the Nexus set-top box?

I was about to trial a bit of software that runs over Wi-Fi from my PocketPC. It enables to control a PC running MS Media Player. It's called Rudeo. http://www.pocketgear.com/ppcw/softw...l.asp?id=11931

Wi-Fi has the immediate advantage over IR that it'll work all over your house - which'll pls the missus...

Comment

• dunksfirth
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Aug 2004

Wolfthing, Cheers for that, try www.AVnex.co.uk or www.home-control.co.uk.

Dunks

Comment

• jon00
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Jan 2004

As an alternative of actually controlling your PC, have you considered using a digital media adaptor (which reads off your PC) to play your MP3 and other media files?

There are now quite a few available with video out and IR control.
        One that has been reviewed on this site is the Pinnacle Showcentre http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...1430--0-0.html which will play MP2/3 files, MPEG & MPEG2 Files, DIVX etc together with picture albums JPG etc and internet radio.

If you purchase the September issue of digitalhome they have reviewed 14 of these devices.
        Jon

www.jon00.me.uk

Comment

Working...
        X