• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcockerell
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2009

Good news about the internal unit.

Appreciate it's probably still early days, but do you have any thoughts on a target form factor? - e.g. perhaps single or double pattress size?

Thanks,
    Martin

Comment

• pdwarriner
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Nov 2008

Martin,

The aim is to design around a single pattress but this is not guaranted.

The speaker is the key, so should we need a larger pattress to maintain good performance, we will work around that backbox.

Regards,
      Peter.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

How about an attractive summary screen that displays an array of user-selected data in an easily absorbed format ... that can be fed through (from the 24/7 PC that's hosting Cortex) to any & all computers (PC Mac & Linux) & PDAs / iPhones in the house & then used by them as a screen-saver / home screen / whatever ?

data - eg: heart-beat, energy graph(s), what's on at the moment summary, house plan, presence by room, CCTV image, weather-map, whatever ...

format - eg: boxes / sub-windows that can be filled by drag & drop & arranged / sized / scaled as desired ...
        Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 31 May 2009, 08:16 PM.
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

How about a simple low-cost digit display module - the sort of thing used industrially to highlight, locally & remotely, important parameters ...

eg: a four-digit display module, with no buttons, just four 7-segment LEDs (they don't cost much & are quite effective), that can be placed conveniently - remotely and/or locally, as required - to show whatever's being measured that's of interest - eg: time of day / timer-time / time to go until laundry-wash finishes / outside-temperature / larder-temperature / room-temperature / bath-temperature / whatever ...

in US homes, such things are used for remote laundry monitoring - eg:

Comparison shop for in . See store ratings and reviews and find the best prices on with PriceGrabber's shopping search engine.

only that's special-to-purpose & more complicated (not just a display), and making them wireless must make them relatively expensive ...

whereas a simple addressable latching 4-segment module on Idranet would be both more verastile & more affordable ...

this is, again, something we're actually looking to do, in several places, ... and the obvious route of trying to do it via ODO modules & '4511 BCD chips & segmented LEDs (*) looks a bit more complicated than we would like !

* eg: http://www.rapidonline.com/Electroni...s/LED-Displays

Comment

• Gumby
            • May 2004

Might be easier to get a bunch of the original SliMP3s from eBay and then send messages to them from Cortex ...
            ----------------------
            www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

ah ... nearest I got to discovering what a SliMP3 might be, after a fair bit of Googling, was the statement :

Slim Devices, Inc - Makers of the SliMP3 device, used to stream music over ethernet from a PC

trying to get further always resulted only in information about the current Logitech range, with not a whisper about what a SliMP3 might be !

I'll try again in the morning ... big download going on at the moment ...
              Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 3 June 2009, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                Automated Home Legend
                • Dec 2007

OK, got it :

characters look a bit small, but there are two lines, so maybe they can be made larger (?) ... perspex cover looks easily removable, which might be good for integration ...

presumably could also use newer kit - if were going that way for audio - their Transporter looks good, and their remote with screen, too, 'though costs are high, of course ...

Discover the innovative world of Logitech and shop everything MX, Keyboards, Mice, Webcams, Headsets, Software, Video Conferencing, and more

and we're looking to reduce remotes rather than acquire more !

and working iTunes & the hi-fi together already provides a lot of what Squeezebox would offer ...

but got me wondering - would using the base model & iPeng be a better way :

from the blurb, it's not clear, but maybe this could be a way of getting messages from Cortex to iPhone (ie: iPhone & Ipod touch), especially when iPhone 3.0 comes along, very soon now, and (with luck) opens-up the possibilities for app' interaction ??

Comment

• Paul_B
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2006

Chris,

Don't under estimate the VFD on the Squeezebox devices. Static pictures don't do it justice. You are correct in that it normally has two lines and you can change font size to take up the entire two lines. However, you can also change brightness (could be used for flashing), you can scroll text, the font is completely changeable or you can pretty much code the display as you see fit. For example the wonderful Weather screensaver,

If you start going down this path I wouldn't bother with the Slimdevices in Cortex. I'd use the Cortex xAP link and then use Ed Pearson's excellent plugin to link between xAP and Slimdevices.

Squeezecentre also has a CLI so you can send commands to update the display via this method.

You've discovered iPeng which is just amazing and very fast for controlling Squeezecentre and Squeezeboxes.

Paul

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Dec 2007

Paul -

interesting, thanks ...

is the CLI do-able from Cortex, via xAP, I wonder ?

good to hear iPeng is as good as it seems - have you tried / succeeded in sending messages from Cortex for it to display on your iPod touch ?

Chris

Comment

• Paul_B
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jul 2006

Chris,

CLI is clear-text entry on port 9090 of Squeezecentre. So you can Telnet from anywhere and away you go with the fully documented interface. Another excellent plugin is srvPowerControl and the author has written a executable that allows you to pass commands via input on a normal command-console (srvPowerControl allows for hibernation, suspend, restart, shutdown of the server running Squeezecenter and to redirect the Squeezeboxes or shut them down, so if I hold the Sleep button on my remote the server shutdowns and sends devices to Squeezenetwork)

Anything that can be done via Squeezecenter web interface can be done via xAP or the CLI. It is also bi-directional in you can send commands as well as query for status.

iPeng currently is more of a remote for controlling Squeezecenter and associated devices and then shows cover-art and the playlist.

For interfacing with Cortex on the iPod Touch / iPhone I would use xAP and Command Fusion that Kevin has described in one of the other threads

HTH

Paul

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Dec 2007

Paul -

thanks, very interesting - you're beginning to get me interested in going with Squeezebox etc ...

iPeng - sounds like it's still at the Apple Remote stage ... hopefully the plug-ins will catch-on & more will become possible ... I contacted them in this regard, maybe they will respond !

Command Fusion - we downloaded it a while back, but go nowhere with it ... maybe I should have another look at it ...

Chris

Comment

• Kevin
                          • Jan 2004

Sorry - guys - just sent you a really long email ( no surprise there then ) in response to CH before reading this thread - which basically says the same as Paul.

Command Fusion would be much more appropriate for this than an iPeng adaption... and I control IDRANet / C-Bus this way from my iPhone.

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
                          Paul -
                          Command Fusion - we downloaded it a while back, but go nowhere with it ... maybe I should have another look at it ...
                          Chris
                          CF's iViewer is only a front end , but excellent for that purpose. You need to drive it appropriately - button state updates and actions etc. The protocol is published. Cortex scripting may well be able to do this

For xAP there is the beta release iServer that does this - and my gateway will also shortly handle direct iViewer connections for an embedded integration with Cortex.

K
                          Last edited by Kevin; 5 June 2009, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Dec 2007

Kevin -

apologies, I meant to include a link to this thread in my e-mail, but I forgot to paste it in ...

your next update will be eagerly awaited !!

Chris

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Dec 2007

Noticed this just now, might be useful (?)

Chris

NB: there's also :

of course ...
                              Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 9 June 2009, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• jpdw
                                Automated Home Guru
                                • Oct 2007

Resizable columns!

... just been setting our HVAC to un-fallback a few hours before we come home from New Year....

... it would be really useful if the columns in the Scheduled Events dialog, especially the Event Name one would be re-sizeable....

(happy new year to all)
                                Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X