• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Wish List

How about a wish-list thread, for future Idratek modules & software ? Must say, I think the current set is pretty versatile, and there are rumours of some sort of display unit being on its way ... still, don't we always want more ! To start things off, how about :

a module to feed a shortish sequence of images to one of the hi-res digital photo-frames that are around nowadays ... that could be used to display a smart clock - by which I mean, one that shows not just time & date, but also the weather (Met.Office internet radar- & pressure-maps, with current images shown large, ideally 400 pixels square & 600x400 respectively, and previous twenty / next ten shown smaller, as repeating short movie-sequences ... all of this shown simultaneously & updated fairly infrequently - half-hourly, perhaps hourly) ... plus a few other things, too, perhaps a calendar and a picture of who's at the front-door ... it might need larger varieties of 'frames, maybe with basic video capability, but bandwidth requirements ought to be be quite modest, 'though - if more were needed - ISTR one of the twisted pairs in the Cat-5 cable is free - failing which a second cable could be used ... the displays could be distributed around the house, as needed ... using digital photo frames might help make it all affordable (prices will surely come down from the current levels, and second-hand prices ought to be low, given continued technoloical progression) ...

anyway, that's one idea, for something I'd be keen to have !
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 20 December 2007, 10:50 PM. Reason: clarity
    Our self-build - going further with HA...
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Two wishes from me:

1. An Idratek built modem which is capable of BT CallerID and good quality voice response. I believe the closest solution is a Zoom modem but the voice quality is not that great.

2. Current sensor module to detect when items are / aren't running i.e. washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, etc Then messages can be broadcast once complete and other actions taken.

I too am eagerly awaiting the visual display modules

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

Wish List

yep, good ones ...

wonder if it would be possible, with some suitable interface module, also to read the display on the washing machine (ours has a small LED display that shows roughly how much longer the programme has to run) by tapping across the display terminals ... might be useful on other things, too ! ?

Comment

• wywywywy
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Dec 2005

Current sensor, and a more stylish MFU (pardon me but the current one isn't the best looking) would be nice.

Oh and a 16-channel dimmer would be quite nice too!

Comment

• Andrew Millne
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Nov 2007

Support for multiple Skype accounts through cortex (Think this may be harder to achieve than first imagined)
          Last edited by Andrew Millne; 21 December 2007, 12:09 AM. Reason: Removed list
          Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• Gumby
            • May 2004

I'd like to see more external integration ..

I'd prefer VoIP integration via SIP (eg Asterisk) rather than Skype, can then use external FXS/FXO device which can also sort the caller id.

I'd like some kind of generic Cortex logic module that can be used to accept and parse text input and convert to a usable value, eg parse a stream of data from a weather station, or a web page or a CLID device - I'm assuming the API might allow this when I get a chance to look at it.

Actually - what I'd really like is a plug-in API that allows user generated Cortex logic modules to be added in as plug-ins, including icon animations etc. You could imagine these plug-ins being shared ...
            ----------------------
            www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Gumby
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Paul_B View Post
              Two wishes from me:

1. An Idratek built modem which is capable of BT CallerID and good quality voice response. I believe the closest solution is a Zoom modem but the voice quality is not that great.
              I've had slightly more joy with tuning up the internal modem, but still have a problem with auto-answering. It's all in the modem.inf configuration I think. What I may have to do is set up the modem with some other software and probe the comms between them .. got all the bits, just not got the time ..

Also the Crucible devices could reliably solve the caller-id, but need interface support ... hence my generic module idea.

I think we should start a new thread about voice modems and especially the Zoom ones.
              ----------------------
              www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Gumby
                • May 2004

Originally posted by wywywywy View Post
                Current sensor, and a more stylish MFU (pardon me but the current one isn't the best looking) would be nice.

Oh and a 16-channel dimmer would be quite nice too!
                Perhaps a reference design for a suitable amplifier to feed current sensing into standard analogue input module would provide a solution ?
                ----------------------
                www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Gumby
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
                  a module to feed a shortish sequence of images to one of the hi-res digital photo-frames that are around nowadays ... that could be used to display a smart clock - by which I mean, one that shows not just time & date, but also the weather (Met.Office internet radar- & pressure-maps, with current images shown large, ideally 400 pixels square & 600x400 respectively, and previous twenty / next ten shown smaller, as repeating short movie-sequences ... all of this shown simultaneously & updated fairly infrequently - half-hourly, perhaps hourly)
                  Very interesting and useful to have, but I'm not sure how much this requires integration with Cortex/Idratek. I believe some of the frames have WiFi now, in which case there's probably a standalone program to do some of what you want already.
                  ----------------------
                  www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Dec 2007

Wish List

>not sure how much this requires integration with Cortex/Idratek ...

maybe, 'though think I'd include a Cortex heart-beat, and use them to display simple Idratek messages & images (who's calling, mode of system, CCTV image, occupancy status / where people are, and software version, update availability, whatever), plus some sort of house heart-beat graphic (sub-system status - heating, lighting, etc - & fault indication), and use them as a house-hold message-board ... all of which might be the better for being managed as part of the overall HA system ...

well, anyway, it's something we'll be wiring-for ... running some extra Cat-5 cables to the locations, to allow flexibility in implimentaion !

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Dec 2007

Wish list

sometimes, there seems to be some resistance to the appearance of Idratek modules ... but we hope they don't change them - OK, the MFP is a challenge, but the rest we like a lot, very neat, very subtle, better than the usual white stuff ('though we do quite like some of the Merten & Gira offerings - expensive, though) ... mind you, we're not keen on any of the fancy metal switches (too obtrusive), and our colour schemes are various shades of white - if the style were to change, we'd need some warning, to buy-in what we need !

The MFP - we like it a lot functionally, just not sure how to make it fit aesthetically, but 'looking into various options ... like mounting plates & borders, mostly with straight / square outside edges ... one day, we will think of something - there's surely a simple answer !

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Dec 2007

seeing Tim's suggestions of yesterday, to the oil-tank level problem over in the General Discussion forum, and his reference to the Maxbotic sensor & how it might be used, as in the link :

made me think of another wish - how about an RS232 interfacing module that includes some processing capability that could be used to make the Maxbotic into a smart sensor - ie: local monitoring, with occasional messaging onto Indranet, when there's something interesting going-on / to report ?

'wonder if a combination of the GPC module and a (perhaps modified) PCD module could do the job, perhaps with a user-macro in the loop, too - and with the user able to contribute (download) some of the logic to the GPC module, to control / develop / update / adjust the smart-ness ? !

Comment

• Karam
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Mar 2005

Maxbotix sensors

I believe these are the sensors that have an analogue output version? I'm pretty sure one or more people have used these with our QAI analogue input modules, in which case the module sends data to IDRANet depending on the trigger parameters set for the input eg. upon user defined change of output or upon trangressing a user defined limit (not sure if these fit the 'something interesting going on' category?). Such triggers can action reflexes or alternatively Cortex can obviously do much more.

We do know of one customer who has used a more industrial ultrasound sensor to measure oil level and this definitely cost an industrial price.

Karam
                          IDRATEK LTD

Comment

• jpdw
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Oct 2007

I'll add my 2p...

1) Allow cortex to run as a service with the GUI as a user app that gets data from / sends config to the service. ISTR someone posting recently about it being a shame cortex requires user login -- running the brainy bit of cortex as service could overcome that.

... leads on to #2....

2) With the "service" independant of the GUI, cross-build the "service" so it can run on linux. (This is my real request!!!). Better management of energy consumption is a key benefit that can be gained using HA on heating etc. Yet having to run a PC 24/7 --- even something like a mini-itx -- eats into the benefits... Pick a couple of commodity-priced appliance devices that run Linux (I am specifically thinking of NSLU2) and cross compile to those... Et voila a really low power 'service' unit running 24/7, only requiring the windows workstation to be fired up when you want to modify or looks at behaviour etc. Oh, and by targetting to specific devices, you would only need to make binaries available, so no need to lose control of the source -- which is a probably a critical piece of IP for Idratek

I feel a bit cheeky posting a request about Cortex as I've not yet paid for a full licence for it (currently only using reflexes), but to be honest, if I could run the 24/7 bit of cortex on something that was sub 10W then I'd pay up right now. The trick (as I see it) would be getting the code running on a device that is low power whilst also ubiquitous enough to be relatively cheap.

Feel free to put me on the beta test list :-)
                            Last edited by jpdw; 12 March 2008, 09:48 PM. Reason: <note to self>proof read before hitting Submit</>
                            Jon

Comment

• JonS
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Dec 2007

Totally behind the Cortex as a service request and if it ever did get ported to a low power appliance (which I also like) could the GUI be a Java app please? Then in theory it could run on just about any platform (apart from an iphone / Touch)
                              JonS

Comment

Working...
                              X