• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wywywywy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Gumby View Post
    b) Separate each lamp circuit (the set of lamps controlled by a single switch) and take a power feed back to central/per floor junction. Get Cat-5 to switch positions. You can now switch or dim the circuit at either the wall position or the central unit depending on modules you use, and can change it later.

For a typical modern wiring scheme where the power is fed from ceiling rose to ceiling rose and the ceiling rose has junction to connect in the light switch this means replacing the single radial power run with individual "power" spurs from junction box to the "master" ceiling rose for each circuit.

You would need to check the circuits, sometimes live and neutral are brought down to the light switch position - typically where there are multiple light switches.
    Sorry I am not too hot on wiring, so does this mean...

- Have one dedicated "centralised" location at each room
    - Run one or more pink Cat5e from Node0 to each "centralised" room location (to carry live and neutral as well as data)
    - Run one or more pink Cat5e from each switch to its corresponding "centralised" room location (to carry data only)
    - Group lights in each room and wire each group in ring
    - Wire all lights rings in each room to the "centralised" location as a star

Is this right???

Thanks.

Comment

• Andrew Millne
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by wywywywy View Post
      No this is not right firstly the centralised location is usually one location (could be more technically but for simplicity we'll say one) for all rooms not each room. In a "structured wiring" system all the lighting circuits from all rooms will go back to this location where they will have their own individual fuse/circuit breaker and a relay to take care of the switching.

- Run one or more pink Cat5e from Node0 to each "centralised" room location (to carry live and neutral as well as data)
      The Cat5 is simply used for the Idratek Bus side of things and you should not get this confused with your mains wiring
      Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• Gumby
        • May 2004

Originally posted by wywywywy View Post

- Run one or more pink Cat5e from each switch to its corresponding "centralised" room location (to carry data only)
        - Group lights in each room and wire each group in ring
        - Wire all lights rings in each room to the "centralised" location as a star

Is this right???

Thanks.
        You might want to google "radial lighting circuits" to understand how non-automated circuits are set up. Here's one to get you started: http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/lightcircuit.htm
        ----------------------
        www.gumbrell.com

Comment

Working...
        X