Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Security

Can you have too many? Well my bank manager probably thinks so

I would think maybe two PIRs is sufficient for most rooms if you can't get away with just one. The problem with more maybe "leaking" into locations you don't want triggering for a particuliar room. For example a wall location next to a door would pickup movement the other side of the door if the door were open.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

Default Security

leaking, and maybe Cortex, too - how complicated a situation can it deal with, and how well can it integrate & augment with data from other sensors - light, temp', humidity ... even CCTV ... to make sense of things ???

I'm tempted to make provision for maybe 100s of sensors, of various sorts, to ensure best-chance of catching anythings that's going-on ... such an approach being helped by Idratek's propensity to include anscilliary inputs in its modules (which helps with affordability) ...

Automated Home Ninja Andrew Millne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    I'm tempted to make provision for maybe 100s of sensors
    The temptation is most definately there! how much is enough? What do you include? An approach like this could uncover many latent applications for the technology especially when the data from lots of sensors are amalgamated.

At present Cortex maintains a sense of presence but not task or person.

If you want this you need to overlay it manually via macros etc. Certainly richer sensing can support this, for example, I'd be tempted to fit reed switches to all kitchen cupboard doors and drawers (if I thought I could get away with it) to support inferences such as cooking vs lingering, for example, which might cause different lighting schemes to be engaged.

At the same time I think that integrating the information from more and more sensors will become harder programmatically ... it would seem to me that a probabilistic solution would be required, but then training becomes an issue ...

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

Default Security

>integrating the information from more and more sensors will become harder programmatically ... it would seem to me that a probabilistic solution would be required, but then training becomes an issue ...

the obvious way, perhaps, is a neural-net approach ... allowing actions based on patterns in the data, without having to laboriously identify them oneself ...

'would be good if a simple version could be added to Cortex, in some way ... not sure what hooks this would need / use ...

reed-switches (in series) ... must look to see what's available, and how to ensure reliability is good !
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 24th December 2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: dislexic typing !