Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Essential tools

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post

Laser line blimey now that is perfection! I am usually happy with a spirit level bubble being roughly around the middle. I have thought about using circular conduit or waste pipe through the joists for easier pulling and less lifting of floorboards.

Paul
    I did say it was a anal :-)

-- but this was after pulling a lot of cable through holes drilled by an electrician using the usual long auger at an angle method. Just using a right angle drill really improves the runs.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    until a week or two ago, I had trouble understanding why people needed so much - especially since we don't have TV, or a BT line - but I think I'm beginning to think in terms of quite a lot
    Hee Hee... I know what you mean. The "17km of cat5" thread on the UKHA_D list made me laugh -- how come he's used so much, I thought.

Since then I've cabled 1 room back to N0 and used over a 1/3 of a box. And already I realise that for long term I need to run almost a similar number of cables to the otherside of the same room ! This is mostly because of all the extra data I want to run, as observed above, idranet seems quite economical because you can daisy chain. The living room is next with TV, 2 phone lines, HA, data from the dsl router so will probably use the remaining 2/3 of the box!

So now I've seen the light and realise another few boxes will be needed to cover the whole (small terraced victorian) house!!

Back on-topic. I second & third the cable rod. Not idratek specific but also a good IDC punchdown if doing cat5 sockets.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

Default Essential tools

>17km ...

yep, still seems way OTT ... even my worst-case which has double Idranet daisy-chained around the house, four Ethernets to every location where a computer or a laptop might conceivably be, plus a couple of HDMI feeds to wherever a screen might just be handy, plus 50% for feeds to individual Idratek modules & after-thoughts, resulted in well under two km ... ie: six boxes at the very most !

>IDC puch-down ...

someone on UK_Selfbuild suggested using RJ45s back & front of patch-panels, for ease & flexibility & reliability - the last thanks to having become very adept at crimping them on !

>tools ...

should we add a soldering-iron or -gun, too ?

we're also on the look-out for a hot-knife for cutting clean & neat channels in polystyrene, for conduits & pipes, up to 110mm diameter ... it'll be an esential tool for us (all our external walls & all our floors are covered deep in it - all our walls & floors are impenetrable dense concrete), but best we've found so-far is something in the US that costed-out at USD800, delivered ...

How could I forget - headtorch !! Makes a world of difference, whether you are crawling around in dark spaces or just trying to see what you are doing. B&Q sell a neat Energizer one that has a tilt adjust.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

on the subject of Cat-5/6 & associated tools, wondered if anyone had tried these EZ-RJ-45s :

http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/1340

a bit over double the price of standard RJ-45s, but would seem to offer better chance of a good quality fit (for those who don't do it everyday, at least, and in terms of both getting teh cables poistioned, and in minimising the untwist) ... ??

Default Inspection Cameras

I found these ages ago but a bit too dear. But now you can get these and use a netbook or laptop.

Having spent Sunday with my head stuck between floorboards looking for clearance for an extractor fan mine is now on order
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

That looks interesting. But it doesn't say it will work with a Mac

I'm gambling on it working with a Linux netbook

The VMs (I use Parallels) on the Mac seem to be getting better and better at USB passthrough as well, these days.
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

I once McGyvered something similar using one of those bendable long reach pick up tool thingies and a clients small webcam taped to the end and linked up via a 3m USB cable to my laptop.
    One of the strangest tools I have seen is a cable caster. It resembles a kids suction cup dart gun and a fishing reel. Though I could have used it on several jobs. http://www.minitran.co.uk/pages/prod...facturer=Tempo
    http://www.mygreenlee.com/GreenleeDo...c_number=06186
    Last edited by toscal; 7th December 2009 at 08:59 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

It works with the Maccam project.

Which implies there'll be Linux Drivers as well. System Profiler reports Pixart Imaging sensor, USB ID 0x2620 0x093a.
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com