Thread: IR Control into Xantech units (and Mk3 receivers?!)

Automated Home Jr Member

Default IR Control into Xantech units (and Mk3 receivers?!)

Hi all, (and Keith!!)
    Two questions...firstly I'm looking at using kat5 units in the multidrop scenario using two cat5 cables to each unit.

In another post Keith mentioned that a few weeks after last Christmas Mk3 units would be available that would allow IR control in this multidrop scenario, is this the case with the current units?

Also is it possible for me to run a mini jack to mini jack lead from the kat5 unit to an input on my xantech IR control unit for it to then feed to multiple devices?

Thanks

Noel

Quote Originally Posted by noel-pilot View Post
    Hi all, (and Keith!!)
    Two questions...firstly I'm looking at using kat5 units in the multidrop scenario using two cat5 cables to each unit.

In another post Keith mentioned that a few weeks after last Christmas Mk3 units would be available that would allow IR control in this multidrop scenario, is this the case with the current units?
    Hi Noel,

All recievers are now Mk3 versions so have IR capability from all recievers in Multidrop.

Also is it possible for me to run a mini jack to mini jack lead from the kat5 unit to an input on my xantech IR control unit for it to then feed to multiple devices?
    Difficult to give a definate answer on this as I dont own any Xantech equipment to test against but based on what I have read about Xantech in the past here is my opinion.

KAT5 TX outputs IR Data modulated @ 38kHz to directly drive the IR LED. This is a 5v signal with Ground on the sleeve of a mono jack and the active 5v signal on the tip.

Xantech use a strange wiring convention for the IR recievers of

Sleeve = +12V
    Ring = Ground
    Tip = IR Data

I dont know whether the Xantech IR recievers output modulated IR or Demodulated IR.

If it is Modulated IR then a direct connection *could* be quite simple ...then again not !

What you need to do is measure the voltage on the IR in pin of the Xantech unit with a Xantech receiver connected but NOT receiving IR.

IF the voltage is Zero then it will require a positive voltage to send IR, if the voltage is +5 or +12 then it will require grounding to send IR.

Assuming there is Zero voltage when idle, try feeding +5v into the IR data input via a 1k resistor (for safety) and see if IR is transmitted. If it is you could be in luck.

The next thing to try is a connection between the KAT5 TX and the Xantech input. You will need to make a lead as follows.

KAT5 TX ----------- Xantech Input

MONO -------------- STEREO

NC-------------------SLEEVE
    Sleeve -------------- RING
    TIP ------------------TIP

I have specified different plugs because the KAT5 unit will accept either but the Xantech must have a stereo plug due to having three connections. Do not insert the lead the wrong way round or you may damage the Xantech as the sleeve of the Mono plug would short the 0V (ring) and +12V (sleeve) connections.

If the "simple" method isnt possible then there are ways around it but they are more complicated.

The three problems you could encounter are......

1. Modulated vs Demodulated IR - can be sorted with a specially programed PIC chip for KAT5 TX

2. Incorrect Logic Level - would require inversion of signal

3. Incorrect Voltage level - would require a level shifter circuit to convert 5v to 12v

It is quite possible that you could encounter at least two of them and possibly all three !!!!

In that case you would have to contact me offlist. If you were in a position to lend me the Xantech kit I could sort it out for you.

Hope that helps

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Guru FrankMcAlinden's Avatar

Hi Keith

I have one of those table top xantech recievers and they output modulated ir...
    They appear to work better with a supply of regulated 9v (from my testing)...

I did see a simple level shifter that some Ocelet users (5v ir system i believe) use to connect to xantech....would need to google that one.....Personally i have used opto isolators to interface xantech with my kit....

HTH
    Frank
    Home of FirM - the Multi Zone IR Transport System
    http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/index.html

That should make it quite easy to interface then

Thanks for the info Frank

Keith

Automated Home Jr Member

So does that mean that making a lead as you've said above could possibly work?!

What does NC stand for?
    If I have to run an extra wire then its not the end of the world but the extra £100 per xantech receiver would be a little annoying!!

Thanks
    Noel
    Last edited by noel-pilot; 5th January 2008 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noel-pilot View Post
    So does that mean that making a lead as you've said above could possibly work?!

What does NC stand for?
    If I have to run an extra wire then its not the end of the world but the extra £100 per xantech receiver would be a little annoying!!

Thanks
    Noel
    Possibly

NC = No Connection