• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Any one with an ITouch and Web skills

I got an iTouch from Santa and I love the interface and usability. It would seem to be great as a small module for controlling Cortex through the web server interface. Has anyone tried this yet?
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Any one with an ITouch and Web skills

I'd be tempted to give the Demo Room at

a go, as a first exploration ...

the wi-fi + iTouch / iPhone approach to Cortex interfacing sounds a good one !

Chris
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Paul_B
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2006

I've found a few mock ups of remote interfaces on the iTouch / iPhone and also signed up with Apple development for access to some sample pages. My Cortex is web exposed but I wanted a more "pretty" interface than that in Cortex. I'll see how it goes.

Comment

• Paul_B
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2006

I have been playing around tonight and discovered that the Cortex web server does not seem to work with iPod Touch, specifically the login. However, I have found a nice Javascript and CSS implementation that makes it easier to create web pages specifically for iTouch. Have a look at iUI:

and someone who has started work on an interface for HA (HAI Omnipro):

I have created a couple of mock up screens and now need to work on Cortex integration
        Attached Files

Comment

• Paul_B
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2006

I have read the Web Server support in the Cortex help file for interacting with Idratek through the web-server. Basicallyt when a browser hits the webserver and authenticates an XML file is generated based on the Idratek objects this user is allowed to view. The XML file is then parsed through a translation file to generate the HTML code for the browser to view.

Unfortunately this is all fairly unfamiliar territory for me so will take a while to understand. The web server responds to specific commands based on the browser and can control the represented module.

I can't see any reason why an iPod Touch or iPhone couldn't be used to control Cortex via a custom web interface. I will be continuing to play with this interface.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

iTouch

just found the time to watch :

from about a month ago ... lasts about 80 minutes, the SDK bit proper starts about twenty minutes in ... includes an intro' & several examples, including some how-to ... seems pretty good ... talks iPhone, but iPod Touch & IPhone are just about identical in this regard ... well worth the watch, I thought, right to the end !

all I need to do now is get our 'Touch to see the server, wirelessly - anyone managed to do that, by any chance - ours just says it can't see it, but gives no clue to how to change that - grrh !
            Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 10 April 2008, 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Paul_B
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2006

My iTouch sees my home-server. I would try using the IP address or fully-qualified domain name if one exists on the iTouch as DNS search suffixes can't be passed by most DHCP servers.

As for the SDK I knew it was out but after speaking with Vivian I didn't have the time to learn XML and XLT to use with Cortex.

Paul

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                Automated Home Legend
                • Dec 2007

>try using the IP address or fully-qualified domain name ...

but how ? Maybe I've missed it, but the 'Touch seems to offer now way of getting to that point !

>SDK ... didn't have the time to learn XML and XLT ...

I'll Google / Wiki to understand that ... SDK seems pretty comprehensive & user-friendly ... 'though it does seem to be just on a 'Mac ...

Comment

• Paul_B
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2006

Use the Safari Browser and then enter the web address for Cortex with the correct port (can't remember what this is at present)

Paul

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Dec 2007

Thanks, Paul ... having played some more, with some success in getting things, on the network, to have green lights & see each other, 'think my problem with the 'Touch is something to do with the internet connection being via a G3 'phone off one of the computers on the network, rather than off the base station (a Time Capsule) ... Apple don't seem to have anticipated this possibility ... at least in their standard set-up arrangements ... plus, only two of the four computers on the network are seeing the Ipod Touch ... so, both ways, something's not right ... I tried to call support, but they'd all gone home ... ... ... I'll keep trying !
                    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 10 April 2008, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Dec 2007

OK - 'twas a matter of getting network permissions sorted out - fantastic !

actually, that's an understatement - the Nokia E61's about to be relegated to being just a 'phone & connection device, and when the contract runs-out it will go in the draw !

(new to networking, sharing, etc - always used cross-over cable or a disc / stick before - and have just bought some new machines, so a bit of a learning-curve ... wish I'd switched-on sharing etc on the machine with the failed monitor, 'cos now realise I could access and/or run it from any of the others, dead easy !)

a few years back, I did have a look at Xcode (came free with the machine), but didn't get into it ... if the March 6 event video is anything to go by, it's got better / easier ... so maybe I'll add it to the to-do list !

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Dec 2007

>wish I'd switched-on sharing etc on the machine with the failed monitor, 'cos now realise I could access and/or run it from any of the others ...

in-case anyone else has this problem, starting-up in Target Disc mode seems to be a possible answer - will give it a go ...

Comment

Working...
                        X