• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

LD11 blowing fuses

(cross-posted from UKHA_D)

Having just replaced the fuse in one of my LD11's, I see the lights have gone off again,so I suspect the new one has blown too.
    The module is mounted in an IP56 box, outside, and controls an illuminated Santa (40W incandescant bulb) and two ropelight figures (50-80W each). The module has worked perfectly for the last couple of weeks but last night I noticed the christmas lights weren't on.

Fearing the exterior connector blocks were flooded with the heavy rain we had, I opened them all today and they were fine. The IP56 JB is also dry inside and no cables look damp.

Clearly there's a problem somewhere, but the lights have gone off tonight after at least an hour of being on, so not an instant failure.

Although I don't have any spare fuses I can get some, but I'm more concerned about fixing the problem as feeding it with fuses every hour is going to stop being funny after, oooh, the 2nd time...

I guess I need to isolate each xmas light and test separately to see which one causes the fault, but any ideas where I should look on each figure? Does ropelight have a particular failure mode, or "leak" path?

While the figures are outside on the lawn, they were fairly sheltered from the driving wind & rain we had last night.

Any suggestions appreciated,

Cheers,

Tim.
    (p.s. I promise a photo when they're fixed, honest
    My Flickr Photos
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

I think I've got to the bottom of it now, the dodgy light is the one that smokes when its plugged in :-o

Closer inspection reveals that water has got inside the ropelight via the connection to the mains cable. What I don’t quite understand is why it takes a while for it to trip, instead of going straight away.

Hopefully this should be it, the remaining lights have been on for a while with no apparent problems. Just have to return Mr Santa now and get some new fuses for my LD11s.

Cheers,

Tim.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
    X