Thread: Auto Bath Fill

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

Default Auto Bath Fill

Paul -

IIRC, you were having a go at using one of these

http://www.maxbotix.com/

for measuring water levels in a rain-water tank ...

just wondered how you got on & how you linked it into Idratek ...

we're looking to use it for auto bath- / basin- / sink-filling, and need to make appropriate provisions !

Chris

Yes I did buy one of those units, however I never really got it working and I need to play with it further.

For a bath you could possibly just use a float switch or a water sensor at a preset level?

Paul

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

Default Auto Bath Fill

Paul -

thanks ... the great thing with that one, though, was that there was a chance of making it fit aesthetically - in the ceiling, maybe, in a spout, in a hand-hold (basin or sink might offer less choice) ...

two stainless metal buttons in the side of the bath / basin / sink might be OK, too .. hopefully they'd be easy to drill for & then neatly epoxy in-place ... sensing the current between them ... wonder if anyone's tried the approach, wonder if it would be reliable ?

actually, you saying float-switch makes me wonder if some sort of duck could do the job - when it can see over the edge, there's enough - with it either having some sort of reflector that's seen by a wall sensor, or it having some sort of sensor itself ... hmm !

Chris

Though I'm a great proponent of feedback, sometimes you might get by with feedforward alone. It would seem that even some off the shelf bath filling solutions simply used the timed vlave open solution ...

Having said this I think a while ago someone suggested using capacitive proximity detectors for non metallic bath tubs. There are I suppose easier sensory principles such as relying on water conduction but I guess its down to how you might fit such a sensor unobtrusively.

Karam
    IDRATEK LTD