Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Multi Room Audio quest can you help ?

Automated Home Jr Member

Default My Multi Room Audio quest can you help ?

Hi im about to go through a house renovation and am looking about but i cant seem to find anything that matches my wants without costing ten of thousands of pounds

The Plans are to be able to stream audio to 8 rooms in the house and the garden and this is the wish list

1) Allow local sources to be attached in each room to give flexibility to play my non ripped vinyl etc

2) Have FM/DAB (though this could attached via 1 above)

3) I store my music on a basic NAS ( Looking about moving to a QNAP / Infrant or poss a windows home server shortly) and would like the system to stream from this rather than using a propitiatory server storage system. Mainly as i like the flexibility of these solutions.

4) Control flexibility , control via web interface etc rather than just a propitiatory remote as is the case with sonos as we misplace remotes like no ones business

5) reduce remote clutter and being able to control the volume and music choice from one remote

6) Browsing via album art

7) minimize the number of boxes and thus the number of power points needed as some of the rooms such as the bathroom will have ceiling / in wall mounted speakers and id liek to keep power usage down.

8) Hard wired rather than wireless.

9) Budget under 10k well under preferably :lease:

So far the SONOS system seems to come closest but the limited control options puts me off,i like the openess of teh Squeezebox stuff but am willing to look any where

Thnaks and apologies if ive asked the impossible but you dont learn if you dont ask and after a month of looking im confused
    Last edited by flipside; 5th January 2008 at 10:20 PM.

Sonos does have a 3rd party web interface. Have a look here http://www.purple.org/sonos/
    Sonos does seem to fit all your requirements, and you can daisy chain zone players together via the ethernet ports on the back of the modules.

Automated Home Jr Member

and as ive just found out it has the desktop client shame there is no limux version or touch screen web skin, hmmmm still any other suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by flipside View Post
    and as ive just found out it has the desktop client shame there is no limux version or touch screen web skin, hmmmm still any other suggestions ?
    Are you refering to the web interface. As it says on the site "Server software - runs on any system that supports Perl, tested on Windows XP, OS X, and Linux"

I'd go Squeezebox over Sonos ;o) Also looks like a new SB called the duet maybe coming out with an announcement at CES.

www.slimdevices.com

http://gizmodo.com/341045/logitech-m...queezebox-duet

I think Xlobby can do all of this, but I have a couple of questions:

The Plans are to be able to stream audio to 8 rooms in the house and the garden and this is the wish list

1) Allow local sources to be attached in each room to give flexibility to play my non ripped vinyl etc
    Would you want to operate all local sources at the same time, or just be able to move your turntable from room to room? I think a couple of sources would be ok, but 8 might be pushing it without additional source switching.
    8 zones means two "7.1" soundcards in your Xlobby PC along with some special drivers for the cards. Each pair of outputs from each soundcard becomes the stereo input to one zone.

2) Have FM/DAB (though this could attached via 1 above)
    Would streaming internet radio be ok instead/as well?

3) I store my music on a basic NAS ( Looking about moving to a QNAP / Infrant or poss a windows home server shortly) and would like the system to stream from this rather than using a propitiatory server storage system. Mainly as i like the flexibility of these solutions.
    No problem with Xlobby

4) Control flexibility , control via web interface etc rather than just a propitiatory remote as is the case with sonos as we misplace remotes like no ones business
    Yup, Xlobby has web-client versions and can also be used with RF remotes AIUI.

5) reduce remote clutter and being able to control the volume and music choice from one remote

6) Browsing via album art
    Browsing music via cover art on a small remote won't be much fun, but would be ok on a pocket PC etc.

7) minimize the number of boxes and thus the number of power points needed as some of the rooms such as the bathroom will have ceiling / in wall mounted speakers and id liek to keep power usage down.
    Your Xlobby PC can be stored away with your NAS and provided you've run cables out to your zones there'll be nothing else to see apart from local sources & speakers.

8) Hard wired rather than wireless.
    The remotes will/can be wireless but unless you decide to go for "video sender" technology to get audio out to the zones, it would normally be hard-wired.

9) Budget under 10k well under preferably :lease:
    easy peasy

So far the SONOS system seems to come closest but the limited control options puts me off,i like the openess of teh Squeezebox stuff but am willing to look any where

Thnaks and apologies if ive asked the impossible but you dont learn if you dont ask and after a month of looking im confused

The slight sting about Xlobby (www.xlobby.com) is that its undergoing a transformation from a free product to a paid-for application. There is talk of re-offering the last free version as an unsupported product alongside the new paid-for supported ones. I'm not up with current developments, last time I looked, pricing wasn't announced.

Xlobby has lots of plugins, including X10 & xAP, so there's automation possibilities too.

Here's a couple more links, one is to a thread on the Xlobby forums and the second is a link from there to someone's own write-up on what they've done. He's going for 7 zones and a couple of local sources so I thought that was relevant.
    http://xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=42637
    http://mayhem.prod.googlepages.com/musiczoningsystem

I'm part-way through building my Xlobby PC but I'm having some "hardware" issues. Should be up & running soon though, and I'm going for 3 zones initially feeding through a 4-zone amp to ceiling & cabinet speakers. Also looking to integrate control of some X10 modules into things too.

Good luck,

Tim.

Automated Home Jr Member

@ Toscal/otto mate

Yes it looks good but ive read about a 50,000 limit on tracks and im currently on about 44500 with a few hundred CD's still to go

@ Paul_B

OOH i do like SB (being a tweaker) do you know if the duet has an amp in as the spec doesn't really

@ TimH

Hmmm interesting i hadn't really thought about the use of the ability to send out multiple sources out from one card in a PC and nice to see xlobby still about i played with it a few years back and it was good then

1) Each room could have a different souce say ipod in kitchen , turntable in office , dab tuner in the living room

5/6) i was thinking about nokia n800 tablets

My main con for this route is time, it needs to be relatively quick to setup/fix as i a 20 month old with another one on its way (due in May) and my wifes patience is getting shorter

Matt

Increasingly I just don't have the time or inclination to cobble together systems. I want stuff to "Just Work". And that's Sonos.

That new SB above looks interesting. But xlobby or anything that requires PCs and messing about would not compete with Sonos in my opinion.

Yesterday my mrs couldn't view her soaps on our MCE box and I was away from the house. Turned out the USB IR receiver had thrown a wobbly, needed unplugged and plugged back in and away it went. Thats the sorta thing that drives me nutts and the reason we got a Sky+ box recently.

Just my experience and opinion. Other people have other priorities, budgets and thresholds for problems.

M.

Automated Home Jr Member

@otto mate

Im with you on the time/inclination thing but the file limit of sonos still bothers me.