My Multi Room Audio quest can you help ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

"Stable beta" - there's a phrase you don't often hear

I've had my Sonos for almost 3 years now. That's a long time in tech to be unchallenged in your field.

As you say the jury is out now, however, like the pro installer above, I would never recommend the SB over the Sonos in a house where there isn't a resident geek. I would always put the Sonos in my parents home for example, and never anything that needs cobbled together with PCs, Software, 3rd Party tablets etc.

That's not saying there isn't a place for the SB, just not in my home, or any home I have to "support".

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• TimMorris
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2007

There seems to be a mis-perception that Slimserver requires significant amounts of support and maintenance. While that was true in early V6 builds it isn't the case now. I haven't touched my installation since upgrading to V7, and my friendly doctor has had no issues with his system since I set it up over 6 months ago. I deliberately used iTunes for him as it easier to rip and encode music (I still have itlu running once a week via the task scheduler to sort out any database corruption that the iTunes app might cause)

Slimserver is an ideal product for a custom installer as it allows him to set up a system to a client's exact requirements (in my system I use IR passthrough, and one of the SB3s as a wireless network bridge). Give the controller a year or so in the open market and it will have as many plug ins as the base system does.

In short Slimserver allows huge amounts of customisation and while it might have a history of requiring maintenance current incarnations are stable and maintenance free.

Version 7 isn't a beta in the traditional sense of the word - it's a point release with tested additions. It has to be, you can't use the Duet without it. Provided the system is set-up properly the server software and the device firmware automatically updates in the same manner as Sonos does.

Tim

Comment

• Otto-Mate
        Founder
        • Jan 2004

It's not specifically SlimServer I have issue with, it's anything that has a reliance on a PC to keep it running.

Like I said, it may be fine for some, just not something I'd install for a non-technical friend or family member.

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• TimMorris
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Oct 2007

Unfortunately wait three or four years and Media centre PCs are likely to be the preferred way to acquire and distribute HDTV. I'm in the process of building a Vista Ultimate based HTPC and will most likely try a KISS100 extender. In three to four years it might look more like a Sky Plus/HD box than it does now, but it will still be either an HTPC or perhaps a "Home Server".

You can already buy QNAP NAS with Slimserver pre-installed so there's no need for a PC to run SqueezeCentre if that is your preference.

One of the major advantages of Slimserver is of course the Squeezebox can be used with the supplied remote, made slightly easier with the Lazy-search plug-in (predictive text searching).

Squeezecentre does really need someone tech savvy to install it, but after that it doesn't need any looking after. It really is a custom installer's dream now. I've switched one away from Sonos to Squeezecentre due to its flexibility.

I'm currently beta testing the Lumagen Radiance XD video processor which requires an enormous amount of set-up from someone who understands grey-scale and colourspace calibration. It is hugely flexible but beyond the capabilities of most end users. A Cedia installer though who knows what he's doing can turn an average home cinema into one which has state of the art scaling, mpeg artefact reduction and full colour correction. Because it requires tech savvy to set it up doesn't make it a worse product than an iScan VP50 though.

Tim

Comment

• Otto-Mate
            Founder
            • Jan 2004

I've run MS Media Centre PCs for several years now. I've had Vista media centre for over a year.

Guess what, I got Sky+ (even though the UI is shocking) a short while ago after getting fed up of relying on a PC to do it.

Hopefully this is the last time I need to say this now...

PC Based systems - Good for some.

PC Based Systems - Not good for me.

No doubt you'll need the last word though

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• TimMorris
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Oct 2007

I don't think there's anything more to be said, I just wanted to make sure that all the facts were made plain and clear.

I completely agree that SqueezeCentre (I have to get used to the new name) takes more effort and knowledge to set up.

It doesn't however need a PC.

That's it...

Comment

• i-B
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Feb 2008

Here comes the heavyweight weighing in at the last moment

Didn't mean to on my first posting (I'll use the tried and tested "the bad boys told me to do it then ran away" excuse ) honest

Have a good look at NuVo. OK so it won't do album artwork but if you want something simple to install and easy to set up AND you don't have to have separate amps all over the place then thats the way to go. CAT5e for all the control cables, speaker cable for the speakers. All the magic is in the box (not that there is much mystery in it) just a separate amp for each zone and the control logic.

They do a 3 output music server called the M3 (160Gb/320Gb) to go with it as well as a dual AM/FM RDS tuner called the T2 (the UK AM/FM/DAB tuner is currently in development and is promised for early summer).

Prices are 'reasonable' for example the top of the range system is availible in a bundle that includes the Amp, M3 160Gb Server, T2 AM/FM Tuner, Wall controllers plus the speakers for 6 zones (the amp will do 8 zones in total but 2 are line level for connection to an AV amp or Hi-Fi) basically all the bits you need less the installation cables for around £5.5k - a basic 4 zone system plus speakers come in at around £1.4k plus the dreaded all in all not deadly money.

The real beauty of the technology is that it is simple, it is an amp with some control logic. The server is just that a big server with 3 outputs that interfaces to the same control circuitry as the amp. The tuner is two radios in a single box that interface to the... ah you get the message

I'll try and get some more info up on our site tonight (clicky linky thing in my signature).

Don't get me wrong - there is nothing wrong with Sonos or the slim devices kit (I refuse to call it Logitech ) we use squeezebox in some of our KNX installations as we are still working on a KNX/Nuvo interface BUT when you get down to fundamentals do you just want to listen to music or do you want to fly the starship enterprise every time you want to play a track (K.I.S.S).

Hope this helps
                i-B (a.k.a. Gavin )

Intelligent Buildings Ltd.

Comment

• flipside
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Aug 2007

cheers ill have a look though to be honest with first fix about 2 weeks away its all a little AAHHHGG at teh moment

Comment

• toscal
                    • Oct 2005

Only AAHHHGG, normally its AAHHHGG followed by another AAHHHGG, when you realised you have forgotten something.
                    Just remember add more conduit and trunking than you need. Its cheaper to do it now than when its all built.
                    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• flipside
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Aug 2007

conduit trunking AHHHGGG

Comment

• i-B
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Feb 2008

STOP flapping!

It's a doddle