Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Multi Room Audio quest can you help ?

Quote Originally Posted by flipside View Post
    @ TimH

Hmmm interesting i hadn't really thought about the use of the ability to send out multiple sources out from one card in a PC and nice to see xlobby still about i played with it a few years back and it was good then

1) Each room could have a different souce say ipod in kitchen , turntable in office , dab tuner in the living room
    OK, would you potentially want all local sources to play in each zone instead of "other" music, or would only being able to play one or two sources (of the eight) be enough?

5/6) i was thinking about nokia n800 tablets
    Nice
    I'm planning on using a few low-spec tablet PCs, and now the kids have Nintendo DS Lites, that's looking like another option too

My main con for this route is time, it needs to be relatively quick to setup/fix as i a 20 month old with another one on its way (due in May) and my wifes patience is getting shorter

Matt
    Yup, I agree, it is more time consuming to set up than Sonos but (IMHO) it can do so much more. Xlobby also does video, photos, weather, xAP, IR as well as multi-zone audio and is fully skin-able. Maybe I'll feel different once it's (eventually) running, but when I was looking for a solution nothing else came close for the price.
    Mainlobby looks good, but that too is paid-for, and the plug-ins are at addional cost as well.

My biggest hurdle to getting it going is my desire to use an existing, but old, PC. Nothing insurmountable, but the hardware is just older and its taking some time.

Cheers,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Otto-Mate View Post
    Increasingly I just don't have the time or inclination to cobble together systems. I want stuff to "Just Work". And that's Sonos.

That new SB above looks interesting. But xlobby or anything that requires PCs and messing about would not compete with Sonos in my opinion.

<snip>

Just my experience and opinion. Other people have other priorities, budgets and thresholds for problems.

M.
    I hear you, the best example for me is *why?* am I struggling on with this old PC for Xlobby instead of buying this HP server for 150? (http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Annou...Server-PC.html)
    I don't know is the answer, other than I don't really like throwing things away, and often for me the journey is more interesting than the destination...

More generally, for me at least, it comes back to one of two things:
    a) either a collection of systems that work great by themselves but don't really talk/interact with each other, or,
    b) a more integrated approach - one thing accomplishing multiple tasks - that has a greater level of apparent "interoperability" and appears more seamlessly integrated. Getting the set-up right does take more time though.

I think its the same as the one-for-all remote control argument. You could either have a coffee table full of remotes, each perfectly capable of operating its target device, but all the buttons laid out slightly differently etc.
    Or, you have a Pronto, or Harmony, etc. that can control *all* your devices. Then the layout & buttons etc. can be similar for each device, but it takes a more configuration time.

Which is best? well, whichever your happiest with - it would be very boring if we were all the same

Cheers,

Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    and often for me the journey is more interesting than the destination...
    Good point Tim, and I've been there many times and enjoyed the thrill of getting something to work.

I guess old age is setting in now

M.

Automated Home Lurker

Getting Squeezebox to work is great and it's really cool that it can do so much. It's not at all cool telling SWMBO that you need to reboot whatever's running Slimserver because yet another unpredictable combination of OS/ MySQL version / Bizzare flaw in your MP3 metadata has sent the bloody thing into a terminal spin.

I've had 3 SliMP3s, 2 SB2s and my hand has hovered over the "buy me now you sucker" button for a Transporter far too many times. SB is a geeky, hobbyist toy because of its dependence on SS. Sonos is as close as you can get to an appliance in this arena. It's closed, it works, it works well.

Automated Home Jr Member

Yes this is what ive picked up from reading forums etc , the only issue that keeps coming up sonos wise is the 50k file limit.

If i could get any assurances that this is set to change dramatically id be sold but sonos are all tight lipped though they have said in the forums there will be no annocements at CES whilst SB seem to be moving and teh jive / ss7 setup could be interesting

OOH i do like SB (being a tweaker) do you know if the duet has an amp in as the spec doesn't really
    Looking the the website it looks like it just has outputs to connect to an amplifier.

I've added rear view of the base receiver and the Engadget video to our news item...

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/New-P...nos-Party.html

M.

Yes this is what ive picked up from reading forums etc , the only issue that keeps coming up sonos wise is the 50k file limit.

If i could get any assurances that this is set to change dramatically id be sold but sonos are all tight lipped though they have said in the forums there will be no annocements at CES whilst SB seem to be moving and teh jive / ss7 setup could be interesting
    Have a look at this on the Sonos forums.

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.p...+number+tracks
    and here
    http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.p...+number+tracks

Though I reckon there may be a track number increase in the next firmware upgrade. Originally Sonos could only handle about 20 to 30 thousand tracks.
    Also how you tag your tracks depends on the exact number, so you may get less than the 50k limit or more.

Automated Home Jr Member

@ TOSCAL

Yeah the last track increase was in firmware 2.1 (iirc) theres nothing on 2.5 and no announcments at CES or so i read in the sonos forum also im sure they must hit a hardware limit at somepoint.

I Think teh new SB remote has turned the tide for me

Automated Home Lurker

Default Let us know how you get on

I want to like SB / Transporter again...but if you subscribe to the mailing list you'll see the same stuff just going round and round. I think I'd rather have 50k tracks I were confident were going to work.

How many happy Slim users on this forum these days. Give us your views. Tell me I'm wrong