Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sub-Meter Electricity Monitoring

Karam,

On the subject of the ODI has the module been "improved" to allow more 0V connections? I believe the one I bought originally has just one terminal for 0V?

Paul

For anyone monitoring this thread I have had a further email from a previous supplier offering a bulk discount for 10 or more ADM1TE's. The unit price is £18 which I believe is very good and I think I will be ordering some shortly. If anyone else is interested let me know.

Paul

Default ODI module

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
    Karam,

On the subject of the ODI has the module been "improved" to allow more 0V connections? I believe the one I bought originally has just one terminal for 0V?

Paul
    Yes there are now 4 0V terminals.

Automated Home Jr Member KirasHome's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
    For anyone monitoring this thread I have had a further email from a previous supplier offering a bulk discount for 10 or more ADM1TE's. The unit price is £18 which I believe is very good and I think I will be ordering some shortly. If anyone else is interested let me know.
    Paul,

Fairly dumb question, but I can't work it out from the spec sheet - Do you know what the maximum ampage these things can take? ie can you use them to monitor a ring main with a 32A fuse? Thanks, Jamie.

Jamie,

From the Tech Sheet I have been sent for the ADM1TE it shows a maximum of 30A.

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm a bit nervous of 30A rating, surely needs to be 32A to match typical ring breaker ? I thought that one of the suppliers I looked at for DRM100S was now stating a 32A rating and the Carlo Gavazzi ones were also (I think) 32A.

I also found: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-WATTME...ayphotohosting on eBay and their other product http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WATTMETER-ENER...sid=p1638.m118 which is a £1 cheaper for mechanical counter. Be nice to find an even cheaper version with no counter ! Disadvantage of these folks are that the T's & C's a in German and of course no experience with the units.

Automated Home Sr Member John Winter's Avatar

Well,
    I've finally got around to playing with photodiodes and digital inputs - and FYI Karam's theory works - direct connection of a photodiode to the inputs and shining an LED on it results in a change of state in Cortex. Only problem is now, I had an external LTH lined up to do the pulse counting and reading back through the thread it appears LTH's are not capable of sending packets with pulses counted.

Karam - can I perhaps reflash the LTH to allow for pulse counting? How did the anemometer example work? Do I have to put in my next order for more parts? ;-)

John

We are considering introducing the pulse counting feature to the LTH, PLH and the like (higher integration small modules). In fact some firmware exists but is awaiting test. If it works out ok then it would be just a simple matter of uploading to your existing module in situ using the Cortex firmware loader. I can't give you an exact ETA since to some extent it depends on whether we encounter any problems along the way, but the LTH will probably be one of the earlier ones.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

the more pulse-counting the better, please ... even better if it's got some flexibility, to allow fairly crude pulses (eg: simple photo-diode sensing of things) ... things like pulse-counting being best handled locally, of course, for reliability & minimum network tie-up !

For me having the pulse counting on the QLD would be most useful. My main application for pulse counting is electricity consumption so it seems logical to provide these inputs on DIN modules that reside within the consumer unit - and the QLD has eight such inputs. I do use the QRH's 4 inputs.

Also - it seems a missed opportunity that the mains powered modules (QLH) don't supply the IDRANet power... Is there any way of having dual power supplies onto IDRAnet - such that one is redundant ? Maybe I could do this via a couple of diodes and a slightly raised PSU voltage ?

K