Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blu-ray

2 66.67%
  • HD disc

1 33.33%

Thread: Blu Ray or HD discs

Default Blu Ray or HD discs

What do you think will be the winner. I think its going to be Blu-Ray.
    A Blu ray disk can hold more data than an HD discs. At the moment more companies are supporting Blu ray. With Warner Brothers being the latest to adopt the technology.
    The Sony Playstation 3 has Blu Ray and its a cheap way to buy a Blu-Ray DVD player.
    Last edited by toscal; 9th January 2008 at 12:30 PM.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

Default Blu Ray or HD discs

I hoped it would be Blu-Ray, feared it would be the other ... so it's great the more capable is doing better ... quite surprising, too, given how they started, with Blu-Ray seemingly needing a cartidge format, now gone ! Still, what's next ... how long will it last ?

Just came across this article on Blu-Ray http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...hat_format_war
    Also apparently a press conference to do with the HD-DVD format was cancelled at the recent CES show in LAS Vegas. But I can't find the article any more so it could be just a rumour.
    Last edited by toscal; 12th January 2008 at 11:31 PM.

I guess it really is the end of HD DVD as Toshibahas announced it will stop making its HD DVDs. Mind you there will be a lot of cheap HD DVD players for sale as shops try to get rid of them.
    Also Universal is rumoured to have jumped ship and will now only support Blu-Ray.
    If Blu-Ray does win I think the Playstation 3 will suddenly become popular with its built in Blu-Ray player.

Automated Home Jr Member KirasHome's Avatar

Yep - play.com have just dropped the price of the Tosh HD-DVD HD-EP30 players from 129.99 to 79.99.

Automated Home Lurker

Blu-Ray was better than HD-DVD in every way except from price, HD-DVD discs were alot cheaper to produce doesn't matter now as toshiba dropped out of the format war