Thread: Zone Control - Experienced advice appreciated.

Automated Home Lurker

Default Zone Control - Experienced advice appreciated.

Zone control seems to be something of a hot topic here at the moment!
    I did have a read through some of the other ZC topics i found here, but i am still not entirely sure how it works, and the manufacturer's documentation isn't much more help.

Anyway, here is what i want to do:

I am making 2 self-contained flats (non-commercial) which i want to run off one boiler.
    Each flat has 3 rooms which require heating. 1 radiator in each room.
    I am looking at using (i believe this is correct) Honeywell HR80 radiator valves and CM67z Zone Control.

Now, from what i understand about "zones", i can choose two different settings per CM67z. Right? This would mean that for flat 1, i could have two schedules - maybe one for the lounge and one for the bedroom/bathroom. Is this correct? Or would i be able to set more than 2 schedules? i.e. seperate schedules for each of the 3 rooms?

As i understand it so far, i would need 6 HR80s and 2 CM67zs. 3 valves for each flat and 1 controller for each.

If someone could clear up these points and add any other relevant advice i'd appreciate it. I don't want to spend hundreds of quid on equipment and then discover i've bought too little / too much / the wrong things.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dave-o View Post
    Zone control seems to be something of a hot topic here at the moment!
    I did have a read through some of the other ZC topics i found here, but i am still not entirely sure how it works, and the manufacturer's documentation isn't much more help.

Anyway, here is what i want to do:

I am making 2 self-contained flats (non-commercial) which i want to run off one boiler.
    Each flat has 3 rooms which require heating. 1 radiator in each room.
    I am looking at using (i believe this is correct) Honeywell HR80 radiator valves and CM67z Zone Control.

Now, from what i understand about "zones", i can choose two different settings per CM67z. Right? This would mean that for flat 1, i could have two schedules - maybe one for the lounge and one for the bedroom/bathroom. Is this correct? Or would i be able to set more than 2 schedules? i.e. seperate schedules for each of the 3 rooms?

As i understand it so far, i would need 6 HR80s and 2 CM67zs. 3 valves for each flat and 1 controller for each.

If someone could clear up these points and add any other relevant advice i'd appreciate it. I don't want to spend hundreds of quid on equipment and then discover i've bought too little / too much / the wrong things.
    Thanks.
    One first reading it seemed a little odd to have one boiler between two flats (where would it be lcoated?) but since the flats are small I guess this would be ok

Just a quick question, what about the hot water for these flats? Are you having a central, shared tank, or one tank per flat? You probably want to consider that as another zone (or two) as well.

I'm not familiar with the parts you quote so wouldn't be much help with the detail, but philosophy I can do

Cheers,

Tim.

Automated Home Lurker

I'm not at all worried about the single boiler or the water issue, i know that's not going to be a problem.

I was really hoping for some insight into using the valves and zone controls.

Automated Home Sr Member NeilUK's Avatar

Each CM67 can control 2 zones so you would need to assign 2 HR80s to one zone and the other to the 2nd zone. You also need the HC60NG back at the boiler to receive the heating demand and switch the boiler on accordingly otherwise the boiler will be running 24/7 regardless of whether any heat is needed.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by NeilUK View Post
    You also need the HC60NG back at the boiler to receive the heating demand and switch the boiler on accordingly otherwise the boiler will be running 24/7 regardless of whether any heat is needed.
    I was under the impression that if there was no demand then the boiler would not be running. Does it not work the same as water, where when hot water is requested, the boiler fires up and supplies it?

I thought that if the boiler was on but all the radiators switched off then it would not actually be heating anything?
    Last edited by dave-o; 14th January 2008 at 11:05 AM.

Automated Home Sr Member NeilUK's Avatar

If you only use HR80s and CM67s then there is no feedback to the boiler and it therefore has to run continuously 24/7 with only the boiler thermostat to switch off the boiler when it is at its set temperature. This means that when the rad valves are shut the heating pump is still running and the boiler firing, keeping the primary pipework (depending on where the automatic bypass is fitted) heated 24/7 even in summer unless the boiler is switched off (or heating thermostat turned off if the boiler is a combi). If you add a HC60NG then the boiler/system pump only run if a room needs heat. If the time programme asks for 21 degrees but the room is warmer then the pump and boiler remain switched off thereby saving energy and reducing wear & tear on the boiler system.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks, very useful info.