Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streaming live TV via LAN

Default Streaming live TV via LAN

I've been investigating TV over LAN, For a potential clianet, and came across these 2 products. I was wondering if anyone here has used either.
    MSI TV@nywhere http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...maincat_no=132
    and DVBcore My Theatre
    http://www.dvbcore.com/MyTheatre.html

Or does anyone have another solution

Hi toscal,

The Slingbox series of devices (http://www.slingmedia.com/) seem quite popular and I know of someone using theirs to watch UK TV when they're abroad.

There's also these products from Exterity, but I've no experience of them. What I have heard is that you need to sit down before being told the price
    (http://www.videocentric.co.uk/stream...et-mpeg2.shtml)

HTH,

Tim.

The main problem I see with the sling box is that only one person can log in and watch. Not quite what I was after. Though for the price I donīt think you can probably beat it.
    I think the Exterity products is more what I am after. Will have to contact them and see how big the stiff drink I need is.
    Something else I just though about, all the products seem to require software on the PC you are using. I wonder if there are any that don't.
    Many thanks TimH.
    Last edited by toscal; 13th January 2008 at 04:22 PM.

Something else I thought of: www.videolan.org
    Check out the "streaming" link for an overview of what it can do.

It is still largely a computer-to-computer solution though, so you'd need a "media extender" PC at the viewing end.

Cheers,

Tim.

Automated Home Lurker

Smile

I have used the VLC free media streamer for a number of months with
    great results.

I use the SVideo out from my Sky+ box into my SVideo in on my Hauppague PVR350 pci card. I then use DirectShow in VLC to stream in HTTP around my whole Network from a dedicated server (always on and streaming and IP address never changes).

I install VLC on any computer on the network and use a small batch file on that pc's desktop to launch VLC and connect to the server IP address and correct port. (You can do this manually but takes longer).
    I can stream excellent qaulity sky tv or anyother format DVD, Mp3 even watch on laptop with wirless connection very Cool!.

Only one drawback is I have to go back to the sky box to change the channel. There are a number of solutions eg IR magic eye or RF controller, however I have not reached any conclusion on this yet. You can also use a web browser to control Files and Media on the local PC.
    regards.

@Greycom
    That's great feedback - it's good to know it works as well as claimed

Quote Originally Posted by Greycom View Post
    Only one drawback is I have to go back to the sky box to change the channel. There are a number of solutions eg IR magic eye or RF controller, however I have not reached any conclusion on this yet. You can also use a web browser to control Files and Media on the local PC.
    regards.
    Have a look here - http://www.heenan.me.uk/control-sky-from-pc/ and at the dusky-control site (linked from the previous URL) for a device that connects into a PC's serial or USB port and allows you to change the Sky channel remotely. AFAIK it works the same wasy as the magic eyes (i.e. control via the Sky box's RF2 port) but without the requirement to have an eye in each viewing room.

HTH,

Tim.

Automated Home Lurker

Smile

Thank's Tim,

I have been to the Dusky Control site a few times over the months. I think this is a great solution if you only want to control the sky box from one pc and it's the pc that Happauge card is in. I need to control the sky box from any pc on the network via the server. I think the solution may be to use the Dusky software and RF connection to the Skybox from the server , but I then need a way to access the software on the server from another networked pc. The solution is not far away, thanks for your reply.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by Greycom View Post
    but I then need a way to access the software on the server from another networked pc.
    I think you're right that you plug the box into your server, but you then need to use the "Control sky/sky+ over the internet" software described here?
    http://www.dusky-control.com/software.shtml
    and have that running over your home network...

I guess, with some time, you could configure some channel icons set up to change the channels directly (via the command line interface), rather than clicking through the menus, but the "internet" software might get you going in the short term

HTH,

Tim.

Automated Home Lurker

Smile

Tim,
    Just a quick update. I purchased the Dusky Controller which work a treat and I have overcome changing channel from another pc.
    I stumbled across a piece of software called 'USB To Ethernet
    Connector' htt*://ww*.eltima.com/products/usb-over-ethernet/

The demo version allows me to share a USB port on my server where the Dusky Controller is connected, I can then see this port on any network pc as if it was connectewd locally. I then fire up the Remote Control Software which is a picture of the sky+ remote. This lets me control the sky+ box from any pc with this software connected by clicking on the picture buttons with the mouse. Anyway just thought this may be useful for other users. There might even be a similar Freeware product for sharing USB ports.

All the Best
    Graeme.

Another way you could do this, although it's a bit less elegant, is by using one of the X10 IR Device controllers from Kevin Lo. You could then control the channel changes via X10.

An obvious advantage would be that you could automate and create macros to control your sky box.

I have one of these controllers, and am generally pleased with it, but am dissapointed by it's range of transmission.

http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=57

snx