X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Streaming live TV via LAN

I've been investigating TV over LAN, For a potential clianet, and came across these 2 products. I was wondering if anyone here has used either.
    MSI TV@nywhere http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...maincat_no=132
    and DVBcore My Theatre

Or does anyone have another solution
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

Hi toscal,

The Slingbox series of devices (http://www.slingmedia.com/) seem quite popular and I know of someone using theirs to watch UK TV when they're abroad.

There's also these products from Exterity, but I've no experience of them. What I have heard is that you need to sit down before being told the price
    (http://www.videocentric.co.uk/stream...et-mpeg2.shtml)

HTH,

Tim.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

The main problem I see with the sling box is that only one person can log in and watch. Not quite what I was after. Though for the price I donīt think you can probably beat it.
      I think the Exterity products is more what I am after. Will have to contact them and see how big the stiff drink I need is.
      Something else I just though about, all the products seem to require software on the PC you are using. I wonder if there are any that don't.
      Many thanks TimH.
      Last edited by toscal; 13 January 2008, 05:22 PM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Something else I thought of: www.videolan.org
        Check out the "streaming" link for an overview of what it can do.

It is still largely a computer-to-computer solution though, so you'd need a "media extender" PC at the viewing end.

Cheers,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• Greycom
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jan 2008

I have used the VLC free media streamer for a number of months with
          great results.

I use the SVideo out from my Sky+ box into my SVideo in on my Hauppague PVR350 pci card. I then use DirectShow in VLC to stream in HTTP around my whole Network from a dedicated server (always on and streaming and IP address never changes).

I install VLC on any computer on the network and use a small batch file on that pc's desktop to launch VLC and connect to the server IP address and correct port. (You can do this manually but takes longer).
          I can stream excellent qaulity sky tv or anyother format DVD, Mp3 even watch on laptop with wirless connection very Cool!.

Only one drawback is I have to go back to the sky box to change the channel. There are a number of solutions eg IR magic eye or RF controller, however I have not reached any conclusion on this yet. You can also use a web browser to control Files and Media on the local PC.
          regards.

Comment

• TimH
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2004

@Greycom
            That's great feedback - it's good to know it works as well as claimed

Originally posted by Greycom View Post
            Only one drawback is I have to go back to the sky box to change the channel. There are a number of solutions eg IR magic eye or RF controller, however I have not reached any conclusion on this yet. You can also use a web browser to control Files and Media on the local PC.
            regards.
            Have a look here - http://www.heenan.me.uk/control-sky-from-pc/ and at the dusky-control site (linked from the previous URL) for a device that connects into a PC's serial or USB port and allows you to change the Sky channel remotely. AFAIK it works the same wasy as the magic eyes (i.e. control via the Sky box's RF2 port) but without the requirement to have an eye in each viewing room.

HTH,

Tim.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

• Greycom
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Jan 2008

Thank's Tim,

I have been to the Dusky Control site a few times over the months. I think this is a great solution if you only want to control the sky box from one pc and it's the pc that Happauge card is in. I need to control the sky box from any pc on the network via the server. I think the solution may be to use the Dusky software and RF connection to the Skybox from the server , but I then need a way to access the software on the server from another networked pc. The solution is not far away, thanks for your reply.

GH

Comment

• TimH
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2004

but I then need a way to access the software on the server from another networked pc.
                I think you're right that you plug the box into your server, but you then need to use the "Control sky/sky+ over the internet" software described here?

and have that running over your home network...

I guess, with some time, you could configure some channel icons set up to change the channels directly (via the command line interface), rather than clicking through the menus, but the "internet" software might get you going in the short term

HTH,

Tim.
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

• Greycom
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Jan 2008

Tim,
                  Just a quick update. I purchased the Dusky Controller which work a treat and I have overcome changing channel from another pc.
                  I stumbled across a piece of software called 'USB To Ethernet
                  Connector' htt*://ww*.eltima.com/products/usb-over-ethernet/

The demo version allows me to share a USB port on my server where the Dusky Controller is connected, I can then see this port on any network pc as if it was connectewd locally. I then fire up the Remote Control Software which is a picture of the sky+ remote. This lets me control the sky+ box from any pc with this software connected by clicking on the picture buttons with the mouse. Anyway just thought this may be useful for other users. There might even be a similar Freeware product for sharing USB ports.

All the Best
                  Graeme.

Comment

• sonix
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • May 2006

Another way you could do this, although it's a bit less elegant, is by using one of the X10 IR Device controllers from Kevin Lo. You could then control the channel changes via X10.

An obvious advantage would be that you could automate and create macros to control your sky box.

I have one of these controllers, and am generally pleased with it, but am dissapointed by it's range of transmission.

snx

Comment

• TimH
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Feb 2004

Tim,
                      Just a quick update. I purchased the Dusky Controller which work a treat
                      Great news, I'm glad its working as planned

and I have overcome changing channel from another pc.
                      I stumbled across a piece of software called 'USB To Ethernet
                      Connector' htt*://ww*.eltima.com/products/usb-over-ethernet/
                      Good find, it looks a useful bit of software.

Cheers,

Tim.
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

• m1anh
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by toscal View Post
                        Or does anyone have another solution
                        Have you tried Mythtv. It is very good. I have been running Mythtv for a while now and not looked back. It has good hardware support and is Very stable.
                        You can run it in two configurations.
                        Frontend+Backend on the same system.
                        Backend and Frontend(s) on different systems.

I have a dual tuner in a headless backend with a 500GB Drive and thats a lot of stored video.
                        You can record or watch 2 channels of Live TV at the same time. Support PIP.You can even connect it to X10 and have it dim your lights.

In the latest software you can watch / record more than one channel per tuner if it is on the same Multiplex. but this is still under developement.

Check it out.
                        Ian

Comment

• toscal
                          • Oct 2005

I did think of using a video web server something along the lines of this http://www.digidave.co.uk/product_in...e2a68e5687939e
                          Price is not bad and fits into the non pc idea I had.
                          Will look into the Mythtv tonight.
                          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
                            • Oct 2005

In my search I came across this from Sling Media their new Sling catcher, Might make the Sling box more appealing.
                            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• CWatters
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Nov 2006

I have one of these video servers on my home LAN. Video is coming from a camera in a bird box.

It works ok and supports multiple users at once but I've only tested that in a very limited way (two people at once) so don't know how well it would work fo your. It has some bandwidth control options.

If you have a lot of users (>4) and they all want different channels at once you will need a much more expensive solution. You may also need to think about your network bandwidth.

Comment

Working...
                              X