• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • n07tv
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • May 2004

Smoke Alarm Controlled Socket / Switch

I've recently installed a load of smoke detectors that are mains powered (battery backed) and networked using 4 core cable (L,N,E and trigger I presume).

It struck me that this signal would be useful to perhaps turn off appliances or even turn on lights, does anyone know of such a device/gadget that would allow such easy wiring?

I've taken one apart but it's all mains floating electronics so would rather buy someone elses

Appreicate any help
    N.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

If you use an SC9100 alarm panel and a compatible smoke detector and assign it to either zone 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 you can then set the alarm to send an X10 command so for example if zone 27 is triggered then you could get the panel to send an off command for an appliance module, turning the connected appliance off. Also zones 31 and 32 are wired zones and need a normally closed contact to work properly. Or you can use the wired contact input on a DS18 wireless door / window sensor to connect a smoke detector.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• n07tv
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • May 2004

Toscal,

Thanks for the advice. I dont have these, basically I have 6 smoke detectors all wired together and wanted something I could wire into that loop to control power to other items such as a light or socket.

My current thinking is to get another detector and use the drive to the sounder to activate a relay or something and then use that perhaps to drive a contactor ... but ideally something off the shelf and neater was more tempting.

And of course less effort

N.

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by n07tv View Post
        My current thinking is to get another detector and use the drive to the sounder to activate a relay or something and then use that perhaps to drive a contactor
        I think this is your best option. Unless you're using a dedicated fire panel, or intruder alarm with a designated fire zone, I don't think you'll find what you want. Adding a contact via the sounder terminals shouldn't be *too* difficult...

Cheers,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• jpdw
          Automated Home Guru
          • Oct 2007

Out of interest, does anyone know what the signal on the interconnection is? ie is it pulled from neutral to live when the alarm goes off etc,.?
          Jon

Comment

• Gumby
            • May 2004

Originally posted by n07tv View Post
            I've recently installed a load of smoke detectors that are mains powered (battery backed) and networked using 4 core cable (L,N,E and trigger I presume).
            Some of the Kidde ones have an optional relay base you fit under one of the alarm units and give you a volt-free contact closure. Not sure what model you used, but might be worth checking.
            ----------------------
            www.gumbrell.com

Comment

Working...
            X