Thread: Cortex Server specs....what ya got?

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Cortex Server specs....what ya got?

Just wondering, i'm still in the planning stages.

What is everyone running and with what degree of success?

Am thinking along mini itx lines in a 1U rack case......

I'm using a Via EN15000 Mini-ITX in a 1U Travla C159 case. Cortex doesn't really make huge demands so this box is running Windows 2003 as a domain controller, SQL, Exchange, WINS, DNS, DHCP, WSUS (I have a Technet subscription which licenses me for this setup). As well as Squeezecenter 7.0 for my Squeezebox. Never had any problems with all this running on a relatively low spec box.

If I'd by buying now I go for the recently released VIA SN18000 board as it allows for 4GB of memory and I would run virtualisation software so I could play with Linux and Windows 2008.

Automated Home Jr Member KirasHome's Avatar

Like Paul I use a Via board. Mine's a EPIA EN 12000G Fanless C7 Mini-ITX Board with 1GB RAM in a Travla C158 Mini-ITX Case using the wall mounting brackets. I went for the EN board as I specifically wanted Gigabit ethernet.
    It's running Windows 2003 Server, and as well as running Cortex it acts as a file server / NAS / web server and runs my Slim Server. It's hooked to an APC Back-UPS ES 700VA which has been must recently as our power supply has become a bit unreliable (3 cuts in one day recently). Again no performance problems at all.

Automated Home Jr Member

Good good, I'm thinking on the right lines then.

If the resource demands are that low I suppose i could even whack it on to my existing File/web/print/GB-PVR/Slimserver server although I think I'm going to aim to have the GB-PVR server on it's own box. I'm currently rebuilding it into a 4U Rack case, AMD XP 2600, 2GB ram, 2.1TB disk space(and running out fast!!). If I then get a mini-itx board and use it for cortex/slimserver and run a NAS device for storage.

I can't believe I gave my EPIA M10000 away to my brother a couple of years ago....bugger!!

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

as well as ability & reliability, I guess the other factor in favour of Mini-ITX is low power consumption ...

lots of boards to choose-from, too, though not always an easy choice, with only one PCI slot & one daughter-board, or less, can sometimes be limiting ...

Originally a Mini-ITX PD-10000 quite happily until I wanted to use a hardware CCTV card, which just didn't seem to want to work on the VIA board.

Now running an old AMD Sempron 2500+ (1.7GHz) - about 70% loaded with 2 cameras on continuous.

Considering either one of these newfangled Intel chips or going back to Mini-ITX and having a separate camera server. Or perhaps hoping later VIA boards could handle the camera card.