• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonS
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2007

Securing the Cortex web server

I'd like to use the web server in Cortex to view status and graphs of e.g. temp.
    However I am concerned that information like house occupied is potentially v useful to a thief or the server could provide a gateway to compromise the PC and my other PCs.
    So what options are there for reducing the risk of compromise?
    I'd be interested to know how other people are using the cortex web server.
    Thanks
    Jon
    JonS
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Jon,

I only use the web server from within the home when I'm on another PC. I don't seem to remember Cortex running over SSL and I would at least want that level of security for internet connectivity.

Have you though of getting an SSL VPN router? This would allow a pretty secure access to your home network from the internet and runs from most web browsers.

Paul

Comment

• JonS
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2007

Could you give an example of one of these routers? Presumably as a replacement to my home-hub, or could it be in-line so I still keep my hubphone?
      I don't know a lot about VPNs but would I be able to access from any PC or through corporate web-proxies etc?
      Would this work to a smart phone?
      Thanks
      Jon
      JonS

Comment

• Gumby
        • May 2004

I've been planning to set up a reverse proxy in my NSLU2 for quite some time. I believe that would allow me to set up https support ... just not got around to it :-)
        ----------------------
        www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Karam
          Automated Home Legend
          • Mar 2005

Cortex Web Server SSL capability squeezed in time for release of V23 ...

Karam

Comment

Working...
          X