Thread: External PIR

Default External PIR

Hi,

I've got and external flood light which is controlled by a PIR, something like this I think:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&isSearch=true

Is it possible to get it to send an X10 signal with a SM10E PowerFlash module?

Also, is there any alternative X10 based external PIRs?

Thanks in advance.

sonix.

One way would be to use a mains relay and connect the switched output to the SM10E.
    There are outdoor X10 PIRs but most come with a spotlight already attached. But can't find anywhere that sells them at the moment.
    Have a look at the MS13. It isn't really 100% waterproof and needs to be in a sheltered location if you are going to use them outside. I've installed them in porches or similar locations.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Jr Member

I bought a cheap PIR halogen lamp from wickes, and it has 4 connections, L, N, E, and a 4th which goes live when the PIR has triggered. I'm presuming it's for ganging multiple lamps together, so when one PIR triggers it turns them all on.

So far I've run 4 core wire to the lamps on the outside wall; one day I plan to connect the 4th wire (via a few resistors probably) to a powerflash module or similar, so it sends an X10 command when triggered.

It's also got a 'turn it off for a second' feature for overriding the PIR and forcing the light on, so a simple X10 relay unit could be used to control it too.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_p View Post

So far I've run 4 core wire to the lamps on the outside wall; one day I plan to connect the 4th wire (via a few resistors probably) to a powerflash module or similar, so it sends an X10 command when triggered.

It's also got a 'turn it off for a second' feature for overriding the PIR and forcing the light on, so a simple X10 relay unit could be used to control it too.
    I would use a relay on the 4th wire rather than resistors. Its safer and more reliable. Then use the output of the relay to trigger a powerflash module.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog