• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frogmella
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2008

Not enough hot water - new system

Firstly, I know zilch about CH systems. My landlord just installed a new system to my one-bed flat. 4 radiators. My boiler is a sub-boiler. The main boiler is downstairs. Heating gorgeous.

BUT, before the system was installed I had ample hot water. Now, I'm getting much, much less. I haven't had a decent bath since the system was installed. Thermostat is set at 70 which I think should be enough.

Any ideas about what the problem is?

Froggie
  • sunbeam
    • Feb 2006

to be honest Frogmella i'd get the landlord to sort it out.

Comment

• Frogmella
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2008

Well, gosh, why didn't I think of that?

His attitude is that the heating is taking up all the water, which is why I have less. And I'm supposed to be happy with that - which I'm not. I'd like some idea of what the problem is, then I can decide how best to handle the situation. Thermostat now at 80 degrees on the hot water tank. No difference!

There seem to be lots of boffs on this forum and I'd have thought it was a piece of cake for someone who knows about these things.

Froggie

Comment

• sunbeam
        • Feb 2006

what make of boiler is it?

what kind of system is it?

does the system have any kind of motorised valves on it?

Comment

• NeilUK
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Jul 2005

Most (if not all) combi boilers work on a hot water priority system - when hot water is needed the boiler diverts all of its energy to reheating the hot water as quickly as possible so your landlord is incorrect in his assumption that the heating is stopping the hot water from working. There could be any number of issues causing the problem - fault on the boiler, problem with gas supply limiting output, incorrect installation/pipe sizes... the list is pretty long!

Knowing the make & model of boiler will help as the specs can be looked up to see what performance it is meant to offer.

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

A while ago we had a problem with our combi boiler lots of heating and no hot water. When the engineer came round he replaced some sort of diaphragm valve thing, and said that we where lucky as normally it fails the other way round.
            So in your case it may be possible that some dirt has got stuck in this valve preventing it from working properly.
            Good luck.
            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Frogmella
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Feb 2008

I think this is a "cobbled together" system, attached to an existing boiler. There is a control panel marked 'ifio', below which is a larger box marked 'Honeywell' and a little way below that is what I think is a motorised valve, it's some sort of valve anyway. They were all taken apart during installation. The Honeywell box and valve below it were already there. Only the ifio control panel is new.

Lately, I've suspected that the heating temp is fluctuating, too. Sometimes the radiators are hot to the touch, sometimes not even hand-hot.

I suspect that all your replies are enough to indicate that there is definitely something wrong with the system. I should have enough hot water for a bath. I'd appreciate your opinion if you have any stronger suspicions, but it seems I must make stronger representations to the landlord!!! Not a fun thing to do!!

Many thanks, all.

Froggie

Comment

Working...
              X