• Aug 2007

is 70 network points over my house too much

Hi Me again

Its a 5 bedroom 3 reception am i over reacting
  • NeilUK
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jul 2005

Not at all :-)

I've got 90 terminated Cat5e points in my house, a further 40 in my detached garage (with room over the top). By the standards of some of the forum members this is just a fraction of what they have but it works for me.

I did decide early on to terminate all of the cables at socket level and at the patch panel so I could test/validate the cabling. Was a fair amount of work at the time but now I know it will work whenever I need to connect/patch in to an outlet.

Comment

• flipside
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Aug 2007

cool though somehow i now feel a little under endowed

Comment

• i-B
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Feb 2008

That is a lot of real estate sapce on the wall.

You could get away with about 25 CAT8 points and have the capability to carry 100 services.
        i-B (a.k.a. Gavin )

Intelligent Buildings Ltd.

Comment

• Otto-Mate
          Founder
          • Jan 2004

Flipside - sounds fine. We ran 80 odd CAT5s in our similar sized self build (which was almost 10 years ago now). So your number is by no means over the top.

Remember you don't to terminate them at the wall until you use them.

M.
          Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
          www.twitter.com/ottomate
          www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• richms
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jul 2004

I have a full 48 port patch for upstairs here, have not done structured downstairs since it will be up for some heavy remodling so have just pulled cables where needed (thats 6 of them, plus one to the garage) - when I go do it I will put fewer in, loads upstairs are not used and would only be used if the room was changed in some way so more can be put in at the time. - could have gotten away with 24 upstairs, but I have nothing other then phone or ethernet thru it. If you are going to be running kat5s or baluns to shove video around the place then you would need more obviously, and the dual cat5 runs needed for hdmi will push the count up even more.

I put 2 dual plates at the bed head, one on each side - am questioning the need for that since I just have a dect charger there now and they are unused. 2 at the TV, when really I will need more if I centralize the video sources, 2 at the desk whereas there needed to be more otherwise I have to have a hub there as well for the computers and printer and stuff.

Comment

• toast0r
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Feb 2008

I'm in a similar position to flipside at the moment - I'm re-wiring my house so I'm trying to work out how much Cat5e I want... though I'm looking at Cat8 stuff too at the moment. What are you thinking of using your network points for flipside? Literally network only, or other stuff too?

Comment

• flipside
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Aug 2007

@all
                Thanks for the input i feel less loony now

@toast0r

Usage wise mostly PC networking but also phones (possible asterix setup in the future) Audio and video but id like to leave myself some wriggle wriggle room

Comment

Working...
                X