Yet another 'just starting out' question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin
    • Jan 2004

Just on a couple of your specific Q's...

To get IR into cupboards etc you use a system that repeats IR on it's own wired network - like Xantech and others. You can also do this via some of the wireless RF based repeater devices , which are cost effective compared to a Xantech solution but Xantech addresses multiroom much better. Keene electronics have some interesting solutions too.

I use HomeVision (and C-Bus via a gateway) but I don't use the TV screens much at all . As you say they are rather basic in terms of appearance. I wouldn't suggest you use HV as a security system really though - I would instead recommend a stand alone system purposed for security and an ability to interface to that from a controller. Keypads for example are very difficult to support via HomeVision and programming entry exit delays and zone types can get long winded. Alarm system panels are inexpensive generally although capable ones (eg Comfort) along with it's optional UCM interfaces can be a very significant cost. There are even wireless alarm systems that you can interact with from HA controllers. (Visionic via an RFXCom unit for example).

If you wish to switch the appliance attached to a plug then yes you should star wire it. In practice there aren't many heavy current devices you'll actually want to do this for though. Table lamps are something you should star wire though - and then use one of the 2A round pin plug sockets at the wall so that you can't accidentally plug an appliance in.

K
    Last edited by Kevin; 18 May 2008, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by toast0r View Post
      More questions I'm afraid-
      How does the HomeVision get IR if it's in a cupboard? Presumably I need more IR distribution to do that too? Where does the RF receiver that came with your remote get involved? I really do need to look at the Xantech stuff.

Does anyone here use the TV menu from HomeVision?
      I have my HV in another room and the RF receiver just sits on the top of it with an IR emitter pointing at the IR eye on the HV unit. The good thing with the Harmony RF receiver is that it has 4 IR ports on it and you can via the PC program each port for a different piece of equipment, or equipment groups.

Never used the TV menu but it can be customised.

Originally posted by toast0r View Post

As far as Comfort and the SC9100 - What kind of alarm functions are we talking about? HomeVision presumably would be capable of triggering a siren of sorts if I ever wanted, and would work with sensors wouldn't it? Is it just phone stuff that it can't do (without the add-on)? What else wouldn't I be able to do without a dedicated panel? Is it just an ease of use thing? I'm probably missing something obvious
      HV could work as a wired alarm system, but you would then need to program the HV with what it needs to do when a sensor is triggered, plus you would need to add on some form of keyfob or keypad activation. Though some of this could be done via the control plug in on the HVXL program. Have a look at my post in the HV forum here http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...ead.php?t=1716

As for star wiring, most mains wiring here in Spain is essentially star wired, no ring mains here.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Forgot to answer the alarm question.
        What I have found in general is that alarm panels do a good job on the security side, but aren't as good in the home control side of things. Most alarm panels will have simple on off, events based on sensor triggers and timed events for X10 or for other systems via some sort of control interface. The SC9000 and 9100 have this X10 interface built in. The SC panels do a better job on the home control side but then on the security side they have a few annoying traits. When you change the batteries in the sensors you have to delete the sensor from the panel install the batteries and then re-install it. The sensors don't remember their serial number, and are issued a new one every time new batteries are installed. And its difficult to connect an outside bell box. Though I believe the new Marmitek PROLINE ProGuard800 has solved this, but its not cheap.
        Where as something like the Visonic panels just require you to, go into install mode, swap the batteries out, and that's about it. But do require an additional X10 interface
        Can't comment on the Comfort panel though.
        IF you want to go the HV route then you might want to read this from the HV forum http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homevi...s/message/8326
        Also have a look here oh and sorry to add another choice to the pot http://www.smartsystemstech.com/flash_index.htm

Have seen a demo version at last years Domogar in Valenica. The unit was armed via iButton keyfobs. Which is quite a good idea, until you loose your keys.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X