Yet another 'just starting out' question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toast0r
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2008

Yet another 'just starting out' question!

Hi,

I'm about to do a complete re-wire in my house and I don't want to miss the opportunity to do a spot of automation.

I don't think I can really afford the cost of CBUS stuff or similar, so I've been looking at the other end of the scale at X10.

I've spent quite a while searching the various forums (of which this is the most helpful so far) but there are some areas I'm still not clear on. I'm sorry if I'm asking daft questions...

I should explain what I want to do:

Lights:
    I want to be able to control lights in each room (a variety of 12v halogens and dimmable energy saving stuff I think).

Heating:
    I'd like to be able to integrate the heating into this - in a basic way at first. I'm considering more localised control in the future with individually controlled radiator thermostats like the Z-wave ones just out. Is it possible to easily integrate Zwave with X10? Or, is there a better way to deal with heating control more natively to X10?

Security:
    I also want to integrate security - basic CCTV and access control, and also possibly use motion sensors to trigger events.

Software and Macros:
    I realise I need some kind of computer interface and software to manage more complicated events - I'd like to be able to create macros which respond to the doorbell etc. I'd also like to create macros for various things which may be triggered from the tv remote, a switch in the hallway or motion sensors.

Controlling it all:
    I want to be able to control all of this in a variety of ways - I want local light switches in the usual places, but also the option to control the system from a one-for-all style remote, and ideally via my laptop/desktop computers.

Something I haven't managed to work out with X10 so far- there are some locations where I have only one light but would like a dual switch so that one switch could control the light and another could be used to trigger a macro.. is this possible or do all switches have to be linked to a specific light?

As far as the reliability of X10 is concerned - I've read (somewhere on this forum) that I should install a whole house filter which I will definitely do, but I am interested in people's views on the reliability of the new X10^2 stuff. Is this the same as the X10 Domia branded range?

Are there alternatives to X10 which I should look at? I’ve seen a lot of comment on the US forums about Insteon – but am I right in thinking that it’s not available in the UK?

I'm sorry so many questions, I'm very grateful for any help anyone can give me.

Thanks
    toast0r
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Welcome to the wonderful world of Home Automation. Warning its very addictive.

Lets see:
    Definitely fit a whole house filter.
    Lighting - X10 can do this. But be wary that some transformers can't be dimmed, and the energy saving bulbs can cause interference with the X10 signal. Though the fitting of a local filter can prevent this interference. The new X10^2 modules are a definite improvement over the older type. While I haven't actually used their micro modules we install something similar which we call a mini-module its about 2mm thicker, slightly cheaper and has the same spec. These have all worked very well. We are also developing a special adapter so that either the micro modules or our mini modules can be Din rail mounted.
    Heating can be controlled via a digimax thermostat, This can be coupled with an SC9100 alarm panel and your heating controlled via this. Up to 4 separate zones can be set up with the panel. You could use mains operated valves for each rad, and link them to appliance modules.
    Security - The Sc9100 panel will give you basic security functions, and has a built in telephone dialler, so it will phone you when the alarm triggers, also you can phone the alarm and switch lights on or off. We also do a GSM module for this unit, though it doesn't support SMS messaging.
    CCTV and access control. What sort of access control are you thinking of. And what type of CCTV system where you thinking of. Do you want to be able to access it via the internet, see it on your TV. How do you want to record the images etc.
    To control it all, basic control functions can be done from the SC9100 panel. You can set up timers, there is also a random event timer which will turn something on around a set time I think its plus/minus 30 minutes of the stated time.
    For more advanced control you have 2 choices PC based and non-pc based. I used and recommend the Homevision controller www.csi3.com This is a non-pc based system, though it does require a PC to program, and uses an XM10 interface rather than the CM11 or CM12. Homeseer www.homeseer.com is a PC based application which is very good.
    If you require somewhere between basic and advanced control then the Active home software that comes with the CM11 or CM12 is not bad. Its not great and the Clock in the Cm11 loses quite a lot, over a period of 6 months it can lose about 45 minutes.
    What about structured wiring have you though about this.
    If you require more info or brochures etc, just PM me and I can send them to you.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toast0r
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Feb 2008

Thanks for your rapid reply!

So I’ve had a look online and I’ve so far found the Digimax thermostat and an SC9000 panel (can’t find the SC9100 – is there a difference?) – how do I then use the outputs from the panel – presumably I need up to 4 thermostats and the same number of radiator valves? Any recommendations on specific valves which are compatable?

As far as CCTV is concerned, I’ve had a look at the software that you can now get in the Domia range; it uses a PC and will work with a variety of cameras, both capture cards and USB stuff I think. I haven’t thought through access control really yet – I’d quite like a couple of relay activated doors, though not sure whether I want keyfobs, code entry or whatever. Is that something the SC9000/SC9100 can handle?

I’ll have a look at Homevision – I want to be able to get quite complex with macros and stuff, but I’m not sure whether I want to rely on a PC being on all the time. Do you know whether the CM12’s clock is more accurate? What about the CM15Pro?

As far as wiring – I’ve thought a little about this but I don’t yet know enough to make an educated decision. At the moment I’m thinking of wiring it in the traditional manner, though with a few more loops (rather than just upstairs lights, downstairs lights etc, more like lounge, kitchen, office, bedrooms, bathroom). I’m definitely open to better ideas though if this sounds like nonsense.

Thanks for your help with this.

toast0r

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Homevision can handle very complex macros, and conditional macros. To give you an idea I have one macro which control my pool pump. I have it set up so that when its summer it comes on 3 times day for about 2 hours each time. Then during the rest of the year it automatically changes to only about 3 hours a day. I can also if need be cycle the pump for 24 hours and then it will switch back to the normal settings. All this is done via Homevision. And if you couple it with Schelte's version of the Homevision software you can get quite a good looking touchscreen control setup. Have a look here http://hv.tclcode.com/
        I posted a few of my LCARS screens on the homevision forum here.
        There are differences between the SC9000 and the 9100 The SC9100 can't remember off hand, but I think they have a slightly better setup for the Digimax theremostats.
        For rad control you can have more than 1 valve per thermostat. You just set your appliance modules to the same house and unit number. As long as the valve uses mains operated, and it can handle the temp then it should be OK
        Have a look here www.betavalve.com and here http://www.idratek.com/public/datasheets/RVA001_DS.pdf
        For CCTV I would go for a standalone Hard disc recorder with network connectivity. Depending on type they normally allow for at least 4 cameras to be connected, some can handle upto 16.
        Last edited by toscal; 17 February 2008, 12:09 AM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toast0r
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Feb 2008

Digimax

Thanks for your help so far. The plumbers are in this week, and I'm getting a bit confused with the various options for heating control. Am I right in thinking that the most basic thing would be-

Digimax 210 Thermostat -> SC9100 -> Digimax 210 Receiver?

How does that link to the combi? Does the receiver have a relay or does it trigger an X10 module?

Toscal: I've read elsewhere that you supply a re-badged SC9100 - are there any differences with this unit?

Can all of this then be linked in to the rest of the X10 control? I haven't yet chosen the software, but I want to be able to use macros and other sensors to control the heating.

I've also been looking at the Danfoss Z-wave radiator thermostats, and they're pretty difficult to track down at the moment it seems. I can't get them in time for the install this week so I'm going to have to fit them afterwards - a bit annoying, but it does mean that I can wait and see how other people get on with them first!

Thanks everyone
          toast0r

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by toast0r View Post
            Am I right in thinking that the most basic thing would be-

Digimax 210 Thermostat -> SC9100 -> Digimax 210 Receiver?
            This is not correct, the Digimax receiver is used if you want a stand alone thermostat controller. What you need is a digimax210-->SC9100-->X10 module (connected to the boiler). The setback temp is set in the SC9100.
            I know there are quite few differences berween the SC9100 and 9000, and one is with heating control, the 9100 has slightly better heating control. If you want I can email you the manual for the sc9100. Just pm me.
            I would also allow for the possibility of using mains valve actuators, just in case , this would mean a small conduit near each rad valve location, going to a suitable location. These actuators could then be controlled via X10.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toast0r
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Feb 2008

Ah, thanks Toscal- that makes things much clearer! I've sent you a PM.

Is the Digimax thermostat the thing to go for then? Initally I think I'd like one, but I'd like more zones in the future.

Good advice on the conduit - I'll get that done (it never even occurred to me...).

As far as the actual actuators are concerned - these presumably an x10 module each? Do they only provide two states - open and closed - or do they allow half open etc?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks
              toast0r
              Last edited by toast0r; 14 May 2008, 11:43 PM. Reason: I re-read the previous parts of this thread and realised that a couple of my questions had already been answered! I'm a fool.

Comment

• noel-pilot
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • May 2005

in terms of wiring, have you read the wiring guide on the automatedhome website? it's very good and will give you a lot of information.

If you cable right then you don't need to make your system choices now and can decide at any point in the future.

Cabling is the most important thing as you dont want to rip your walls apart again.

From comments from others I would suggest NOT doing it the conventional way.

Generally star wiring everything back to one central point is the better way. i.e. if you have a central location (node 0) where your wiring boxes and consumer units go (and would be your equipment cupboard also) everything gets wired back there, so instead of having a loop for say a lighting circuit that goes out from the consumer unit passes to five lights and comes back, each light would have their own direct cable from the central location.

What this gives you is absolute full control over everything at any point in the future. It still allows you to normally switch everything now but in future gives you access to most systems.

Would suggest wiring to every possible switch location, motion sensor location, light location, floor light location, installing conduit as recommended above, install plenty of strings also for pulling future cables, cables to every radiator, and any locations where you may want a thermostat, and then we're onto audio visual/data cabling. We on here are big fans of cat 5 cable, once you've got a few runs of that you can do everything from run IR signals over it all the way to HDMI using two cat 5. Would suggest as much as possible. Guidance from seeing what others have done would be about 4-6 to normal rooms, with Far more to the lounge where your main screen would be. You can truly never have enough cat 5 in this scenario!!! 10 runs to the main equipment spot plus 4-6 for every other room would get you going, this would be used sooner than you'd think.

Telephones
                data points
                IR distribution
                Video
                audio
                and many more

then you have speaker cable to all the locations you may want speakers, e.g. 5.1 or more in the lounge, ceiling speakers elsewere etc etc

there's people far more qualified than I to advise but this is what I have gleaned from the many posts on here. good luck and let us know how you get on.
                N

Comment

• pgordon
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Jan 2004

You only get this 1 chance...

So don't close any doors at this stage that you'll regret later...

I know you said you weren't planning to go down the CBUS route, but I promise you, if you are going to live in the property for a good long while, you *will* become dissatisfied with X10 technology at some point...

I would *very* strongly recommend that whilst you have the opportunity to do it that you at least allow yourself the option of migrating to CBUS (or similar) later on... - who knows what finances might be like in 5 years? At the very least, buy yourself a couple of boxes of CAT5 cable, run a single cable from a central point (near the consumer unit is a good place) out to *EVERY* light switch back-box. You (or your sparkie) will be pulling T&E to all those points anyway, so it's practically no extra effort to pull a CAT5 too.... - you don't have to *USE* them yet, - just leave a few inches coiled up in the backboxes ready for if & when you do. I would also strongly advise that you use the proper CBUS pink CAT5 cable for this, - the outer sheath is mains rated, so you are allowed to have it in the same backbox as the mains T&E (ordinary CAT5 cable can't come into the same backbox as mains without infringing the wiring regs).

With a CAT5 run into the lightswitch boxes, you have the option later on to use it for a variety of lighting systems, not just CBUS - quite a few of the systems available today use CAT5 wiring..

As mentioned above, DON'T use conventional ring wiring, - definately install star-wiring instead, you absolutely can't get the same control flexibility with rings as you can with star wired circuits. As already mentioned, star wiring doesn't prevent you from setting it up as a "traditional" system initially, - i.e. phyically wired switches, electrically connected to the loads, one switch per fitting etc... so you aren't forced initially to shell out for a load of lighting control packs (be that X10 or CBUS, or XXX...) - there is NO downside to star wiring apart from needing a little more cable... (the ring-wiring design was only invented to economise on cable use, not because its "better" in any way). - you also generally tend to use more MCBs at the consumer unit because with star wiring you'd typically fit one per load rather than for a whole ring, - but that has benefits too... (like not having to turn off the lighting for an entire floor of the house just to change a bulb in 1 fitting).

The other thing to remember, is that the choice of your lightling system isn't an all-or-nothing choice, - X10 & CBUS aren't mutually exclusive, - if you can't afford to fit everything out in CBUS *NOW*, there's no reason why you can't mix-&-match... start off with mostly X10, but maybe a little bit of CBUS in a few high-visibility areas like the lounge.. over time, it's trivially simple to slowly swap out bits of X10 for more CBUS as finances permit (well, it is that simple if you've star wired...)

On the security front, can I also enter a vote for Comfort... http://www.cytech.biz and http://www.comfort.org.uk This is a *VERY* capable and programmable system. I would venture to say that if you have Comfort as your security panel, you could potentially remove the requirement for either homevision or PC HA software like Homeseer - both already previously mentioned. (And both *very* good products I hasten to add - not "dissing" either of these in any way). I know there are many in the UKHA community who are great fans of the HomeVision unit, but (flame suit on), I would say that pretty much anything HV can do, Comfort can do to... - only exception to that I can think of would be output to TV. Thus you only have 1 unit to purchase at the outset instead of two. - Again, not mutually exclusive though, - no reason you can't have Comfort AND HV (and Homeseer too if you like). - I run both Comfort and Homeseer, and I get fantastic integration between the two. I also have CBUS, and again thanks to Comfort, I get complete integration into the overall system.

I also started out a few years ago with X10, and as I gradually rewired the house (I had to go room-by-room, rather that doing the whole house in one go), I changed the wiring over to star layout. I initially fitted DIN-rail X10 modules (LD11's & AD10s), which I have now almost completely replaced with CBUS, as I got more & more frustrated with the performance & limitations of X10). - actually, that reminds me, - I must have a bunch of X10 DIN modules for sale 2nd hand of you're interested....

HTH

Paul G.

Comment

• toscal
                    • Oct 2005

Each actuator would require an X10 appliance module. The Sc9100 can have upto 4 digimax zones each controlling one house an unit code for example B12.
                    So if you only need 4 zones then you could use the SC9100. If you require more zones or better control then a controller such as the CM15, CM11, Homevision or Homeseer software will be needed. Then you could switch the heating on at say 7am and turn the rads on on the bedrooms first then in the kitchen and finally in the lounge. Then when you come to switch the heating off you could switch the rads off in the reverse order or even another order.
                    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toast0r
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Feb 2008

More questions...

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I'm afraid I now have more questions though

Noel - I have read the wiring guide (and would recommend it to anyone else in my position - very helpful indeed). I'm certainly considering star wiring now. I've already ordered a lot of Cat5 and Cat6 in various colours for various things, and I already have patchbays and things from work so nearly ready with that side of things.

I'm still not sure what to opt for by way of audio stuff - both cable itself and the system which runs it - it needs to be a relatively affordable thing at this stage but without ruling out the possibility to upgrade in the future. Any thoughts? In fact I'm still open to suggestions on general media and distribution - I have a Topfield freeview recorder, DVD etc, and I'm hoping to hide these in Node 0. Maybe XBMC is an option?

Paul - It's interesting what you say about C-BUS, I hadn't thought about it as a gradual upgrade path, but it makes sense. Also, the pink Cat5 is good - I have been wondering about how to use cat5 in the backboxes while staying inline with the regs. Any idea where I should buy it though? Although I've only googled it quickly so far I haven't found it in the UK.

For general control I'm considering getting HomeVision (especially as there's a discount on offer atm) - but my only concern is that I might be buying into old technology? Now I don't want to start an arguement here - just interested in people's opinions

I realise that it's very reliable, but is it the same unit that it was when it came out or has it evolved? The pictures on the website of the TV menu look very dated indeed... Let me know what you all think. Is there anything I can't do with HomeVision that I might want to? Also, how useful is the two-way IR? Do people keep the unit in their lounge? If not, what's the IR actually for?

The last question really is do I need an alarm panel as well as HomeVision (or similar)? What advantages are there? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question - it's not obvious to me at this point

Thanks a lot for all your help thus far - it's really helping me make up my mind!

Comment

• noel-pilot
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • May 2005

hi, no worries on the questions no prob at all, glad the guide helped.
                        Home vision is an automation controller but does not provide any alarm functions, a Home automation enabled alarm will allow you to do an awful lot and as Paul said Comfort can do a massive amount and integrate with most systems you'd require.

Essentially i'd sit down and draw a map of your house and then think room by room what you'd like to do and see and hear and control. both now and also maybe in the future. By the time you get to the future you might have changed your requirements but thats life!!

The main thing as we've said is cable cable cable, spend the money on that now and in the future you can do anything.

Pink cbus cat 5 cable I assume would be available from the cbus shop (google cbus shop and i think it should appear) otherwise I'm sure Paul or other will be able to advise.

A lot of this, as ever, depends on budget, for multiroom audio the medium to high end users rate Sonos as being the absolute top notch of multi room audio, for those of use (like me) without the demand or the budget I'm using an ipod touch and a bunch of airport expresses to provide me with near enough the same ability in numerous rooms.

Video distribution as we've discussed is complex but iirc I think we pretty much got there on that front?! Would strongly reccomend xbox's with xbmc to get you started and maybe in the future (if required for HD content) upgrade to a mac mini with osxbmc for say the main lounge and keep xboxes in other rooms? I love them and they work great.

Xantech IR distribution is excellent, its pretty expensive but fantastic quality, good prices can be had from the states on this stuff and it also pops up on ebay now and again.

Lighting....suggestion here but it depends if you're willing to go without automation in some rooms until you can free up more cash. I would be tempted to suggest saving the money you plan to spend on say x10 and purchasing some cbus equipment, say enough to do 1 or 2 rooms, that way you a) get a fantastic system that will wow you and 'just work' b) gain very high wife approval factor which will ease the next round of budget discussions!! but it will also let you begin to play with integration between systems, say if you did go for homevision or comfort etc.

Just a thought!!!

N

Comment

• toscal
                          • Oct 2005

I use the IR on my Homevision quite a lot. I use a Harmony 895 remote and an RF receiver that came with it. Programmed the remote with TV commands for a Philips TV, re labled the buttons on the LCD display to lights etc. Taught HV that when it receives certain IR commands it turns lights on or off, or just brightens or dims them. Works quite well.
                          Also used the HV once to start recording on the VCR, via IR. This worked.
                          As for audio has to be Sonos. But also take a look at Sonelco they do some pretty good whole house audio stuff. Thats resonable in price and it could be connected to a Sonos system at a later date. Their Easy Series is very good, http://www.sonelco.com/ing/products/products.html if you need prices, connection diagrams etc let me know.
                          Have a look at Abitana www.abitana.com for structured wiring, would give you video distribution, TV, Telephone etc around the house.
                          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toast0r
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Feb 2008

More questions I'm afraid-
                            How does the HomeVision get IR if it's in a cupboard? Presumably I need more IR distribution to do that too? Where does the RF receiver that came with your remote get involved? I really do need to look at the Xantech stuff.

Does anyone here use the TV menu from HomeVision?

I'll take a look at the Sonos system (it seems to be well recommended all over this forum..) too. Thanks for the links toscal - that speed things up a lot.

Noel - I found the Cat5 on the C-Bus shop, thanks. And not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be. I'll look into C-Bus for a couple of rooms as you suggest. I'll certainly wire to allow for it in the future. I also like the Airport Express idea..

As far as Comfort and the SC9100 - What kind of alarm functions are we talking about? HomeVision presumably would be capable of triggering a siren of sorts if I ever wanted, and would work with sensors wouldn't it? Is it just phone stuff that it can't do (without the add-on)? What else wouldn't I be able to do without a dedicated panel? Is it just an ease of use thing? I'm probably missing something obvious

Now, I have a really stupid question about star wiring - presumably you're only talking about lights - you wouldn't star wire the sockets would you? Just checking...

Thanks again everyone

Comment

• Kevin
                              • Jan 2004

You have a big, and fun project ahead of you and lots of choices to make about the various constituent parts that will make this all work. There are many different solutions covering big price ranges in almost every area and one of the key , and not so easy aspects will be getting them to all interact with each other. You have to think too about what your preferred interface will be to control things eg IR remotes, touchscreens, TV screen, web browsers, pocket PC devices , your phone, or other smarts like room occupancy detection, temp sensors etc etc. Everyone has their own preferences here and the solutions are evolving on a daily basis almost.

My big recommendation at this stage , just like the others have said would be to ensure you get the wiring infrastructure right and this will allow you make more gradual decisions on your chosen hardware , even as has been suggested choosing an entry level solution eg X10 and migrating to a better system eg C-Bus ,Idratek etc as funds and experience permit. Intermixing such systems is very do-able.

Really , really think hard about the cabling. Do install star mains wiring (think about table lamp socket stars too) and be overly generous with CAT5 as it can be used for so many things. If you later need to add devices or data/media feeds and the cables are there you've saved so much time and effort at minimal upfront cost. Retrofitting cabling is a nightmare and quickly alienates SWMBO and t he other alternative (wireless) is not always an option.

Pulling wires under floors once carpeted is a lot harder than doing it now - put draw strings in - and if you have solid floors give it some real thought as to cable paths. Try and create a good accessible route to allow cabling to run between floors and across (even outside of) your house, and keep the CAT5 away from mains cables both from a regulation and interference point of view. Cables crossing at right angles are much better than cables running parallel.

Think of sensors too eg temperature, light level, outside and inside PIR's of course if you're doing your own alarm install. Maybe even door sensors on internal doors for occupancy use. You are probably going to have to make early decisions on you alarm system but most of the other bits, can be phased in. Obviously the alarm functionality impacts these decisions so you do have to do this research before choosing one. Just programming the alarm system will keep you busy for a month or so, and if it's a very capable panel - like Comfort - you will constantly be refining it. You don't mention anything about your experience with programming but I get the feeling you comfortable with that.

I'm a great supporter of choosing appropriate/best tools for the purpose so an alarm should serve that purpose and not say be implemented by an automation controller or heaven forbid a PC software application. Choosing well designed separately functional solutions for areas eg 'lighting' 'security' 'heating/climate' 'Audio' 'Video' provides a really good basis for these systems to continue working 24/7 , which is critically important for keeping other users (particulalry SWMBO) onside.

The key here is choosing the right separately functional devices with capabilities that still allow them to be integrated by some overseeing control system . Often 'best of breed' solutions deliberately isolate themselves from such integration as they are concerned that being open could create problems. Sonos and early Danfoss Z-Wave solutions as well as C-Bus to an extent are such examples. This is where the fun starts and taking things slowly will help you get it right.

I would encourage you to adopt a system that performs all basic level functionality independent of a PC - and then to just supplement the fancier layers of control/display - usually relating to richer data ( eg email, newsfeeds, weather forecasts, caller ID , pictures/video etc) using a capable PC application. Not having too many different devices each trying to control your system will make things much easier to program and diagnose.

To create a successful HA system still requires a lot of understanding by the designer of how things interact - and indeed if they can. Hence my recommendation to take things slowly in terms of all the various hardware choices you make so you make appropriate choices.

You're going to enjoy this though as it stimulating and rewarding trying to get all the bits working as you wish.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X