• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ja5on
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2004

how to wire in my remote dimmer

Hi, i'm new to this forum, so hello

my problem is this, i'm trying to install a remote control dimmer switch but i'm unsure as to how to do it. The wires behind the current switch have frankly confused me. I've done a diagram to give an idea as to what i mean

something like that

so how do i wire up the dimmer switch, all it has is a L = Live and a O = Other

help ops:
  • jon00
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2004

Re: how to wire in my remote dimmer

Looks like the lighting supply is being looped through the switch.

Connect the 2 red cables to the 'live' and the single red to 'other'
    Jon

www.jon00.me.uk

Comment

• ja5on
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Aug 2004

nope that didn't work but thats for the reply....

lights didn't come on or anything, the only sign of life i've had is when i connected all the red wires to the 'Live' and all the black wires to the 'Other', the lights came on but i couldn't turn them off or dim them :?

any other way it might work?

Comment

• ja5on
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Aug 2004

just thinking about it, when you said its looped i presume thats for the circuit breaker for the house. I can isolate the power to down stairs lights, upstairs etc etc
        so i presume i have to continue the dasiy chain yet still supply the dimmer with the + and - so would i need to connect the two red that need to continue the circuit together and put on of the red in the Live of the dimmer and the corresponding black in the Other?

if that makes sense :P

Comment

• jon00
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Jan 2004

Ja5on,

Do you have two or more lights that feed off this switch?

If that is the case (which I think it is), then the single red will be the 'live' from the circuit breaker and the two reds will go off to the respective lights switched live connection.

The same goes for the neutral. The circuit breaker neutral is directly connected to the 2 neutrals of your light fittings via the terminal block.

Because you have potentially connected the neutral and live accross this dimmer switch you may have actually destroyed it. Never connect a neutral wire unless it has a dedicated Neutral (N) connection.

To see if it is working, connect the single red to the 'live' and the two other reds to 'other'. Also make sure you are not using any energy flourescent bulbs as they normally will not work with a dimmer of this kind.

If it is not working then I suspect it is fried :-(
          Jon

www.jon00.me.uk

Comment

• ja5on
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Aug 2004

cool, tried that still no luck, starting to think i've cooked it now :S

i do have two lights feed off the one switch, sorry should have mentioned it before.
            Also reading the instructions it says there is an internal fuse, which will blow if overloaded but by doing what i've done will i have fired the circuit as well as blowing the fuse too?

Comment

• ja5on
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Aug 2004

lol, just checked the fuse inside and i can't even see the wire inside it!!!
              hmmmm, will try a new fuse and see what happens and let you know

Comment

• ja5on
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Aug 2004

right sorted it now it was the fuse....

wired it in like you said, 1 wire to Live and 2 red to Other and success, thanks again for your help 8)

Comment

• ja5on
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Aug 2004

new problem now

the lights after about 5-10 minutes will start to flicker really really fast and slowly get slower and slower until its like a nightclub in my lounge :?

*sigh* any ideas on this now?

starting to wish i'd never bothered with the dimmer switch idea ops:

Comment

• jon00
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Jan 2004

You may have damaged the triac (the semiconductor device that does the dimming) when you connected it up wrong.

It also may be overheating - unscrew it from the wall and see if that makes any difference.

Do you have halogen bulbs on this dimmer? If so are they 12V or 240V?

Lastly what wattage is the dimmer capable of handling and what actual wattage are you controlling?
                    Jon

www.jon00.me.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X