• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wexfordman
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2005

LW12 Space for refit

Hi,

I am lookign to throw in a few LW12's as a refit, and just wondering how people have acheived this from the point of view of placing a number of these units behind a switch.

I am looking to put 2, possible 3 units behind a switch, but this may not be possible. One place, I am putting it in is a 5 gang double switch, and I would probably want to put 3 units in here, but think I may only get away with 2. One thing I was considereing was reducing it to a clipsal 5 gang single switch, and putting the lw12's posibly behind the space where I was blanking off or covering over.

The other areas, I am looking to put them in are pasterbaord walls, so think I may be able to create additional space in the cavity for this to locate the units

Any one done anything like this before ?

Regards,
    Eamon
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

In most cases only one micro-module will fit behind a switch, but it all depends on how much space you have, and how the wiring comes into the back box
    The modules are 17mm thick so you need about 19 to 22mm of space really, any less and it gets difficult to wire up.
    "putting the lw12's posibly behind the space where I was blanking off or covering over." There is no reason why this shouldn't work.
    I've installed similar in false ceilings, wall cavities and junction boxes.
    There are also versions that can control 2 loads so you can use one module instead of 2, if space is at a premium.
    Last edited by toscal; 3 March 2008, 10:48 AM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Wexfordman
      Automated Home Guru
      • Nov 2005

THanks Toscal,

I was thinking of getting these modules http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=70 which are 2 laod modules, in the one unit, so If I could squeeze 2 of these behind a switch, then I have 4 x10 circuits.

I dont have any experience of these units though, but the only difference I can see, or potential drawback, is these modules dont allow dimming from the local switch, which is not too much of an issue.

Anyone use these before have any comments ?

Regards,
      Wexfordman

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

The only other drawback is the load it can handle, Total Max is 400W. With a max for a single load as 300W.
        There are modules available that can handle 300w Per load. But these will only be for on or off control but will respond to all lights on / off. But these do need a neutral connection. These modules will also transmit their status when controlled locally.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Wexfordman
          Automated Home Guru
          • Nov 2005

Thanks again Toscal,

I dont think I'm going to be abel to get a nuetral wire in to allow me take the other modules. If I use the dual load dimmable modules in just a few locations hwere space is an issue, I think I'll get away with it, and use the other modules elsewhere.

I normally get stuff from letsuatomate, but they dont seem to supply the dual load units.

Wexfordman

Comment

Working...
          X