• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonS
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2007

Managing Cortex objects

For objects that have a physical entity like a door /PIR / light etc it is obvious that these should be created within the room that they apply to. For other objects like Macros, message objects etc how do people find it best to manage them. I have some at room level and others at house. Each has its pros and cons for selection from menus (good if at room level) and general management and maintainance (all in one place it at house level, and better if object applies to multiple rooms).

What are people's thoughts on this? Do you use the layers to simplify the plan view & remove logic objects from view temporarily, or jsut never bother putting them on the plan and access from structure view?

Thanks
    Jon
    JonS
  • Gumby
    • May 2004

Hi Jon,

Like you said really - I try to put macros where they make most sense. I also use the layers to hide everything except stuff that is animated on the plan. I do put "structural" stuff like physical modules on the plan, but on a layer that is normally hidden.

Usually I click on the room to zoom to the correct place in the structure menu and then pick things from there - but most of the time I am editing things with plan status, so can pick them up directly from the plan.

Sometimes, for example when I was recommissioning all the modules in a room after removal for redecoration, it was easier to change the visible layers to just show the physical modules and hide things like temp and humidity displays.
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Karam
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2005

It is somewhat horses for courses. Layering and permissions are features which were gradually introduced to help installers set up and manage installations to suit different customer types and also to better suit installations where a touch screen was used as a Cortex interface. Certainly for day to day usage many objects can be considered superfluous to the display and can scare the non techno-philes, but then even within the same household you quite often get the tinkerer who can then override permission locks and quickly make other items accessible from the display, which is often more convenient than the tree structure. But its like many interfaces - you tend to use what you get used to...

Karam

Comment

Working...
      X