• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdw
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2007

Which TRVs compatible with RVA-001?

Hi All,

We're about to have our CH system changed. Every rad will have a TRV fitted, with the intention that I'll gradually "upgrade" the main rooms with their own Sauter RVA valve head for more accurate per-room control.

I have one RVA to try on our existing valve but need to purchase another 10 TRVs to be fitted next month. I can/will take my RVA to a merchants and try the dry-fit, but that wont test operation of the valve/actuator.

Which TRVs have people tried with the Sauter head Idratek supplied?

The ones I know:
    - Drayton "Lifestyle" - yes (this is our 1 and only TRV)
    - Honeywell VT15 / VT117 (quoting Idratek www)

I'm particularly interested know if anyone has tried any of the following:
    - Drayton TRV4
    - Honeywell Classic 200E
    - Peglar Terrier II 632003

By the way, leaving out the B&Q & Screwfix ones quoted by Idratek because I need to buy from a merchant (I get discount) rather than retail sheds.

Thanks,

jon
    Jon
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

If you want to test the stroke aspect then you might be able to 'borrow' a sample of each valve from your merchant and then test by connecting your RVA to a 24V supply, or you could even take a 24V supply with you to the merchant. Depends how friendly you are with the merchant I guess :-). The valve operation can be checked by trying to blow through it.

Or you could try and figure it out based on datasheets. The RVA stroke length is 4.5mm.

There may yet be another method which is to reverse the n/o n/c state of the actuator which may avoid need for 24V, but I haven't tried this myself.

Karam

Comment

• jpdw
      Automated Home Guru
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Karam View Post
      If you want to test the stroke aspect then you might be able to 'borrow' a sample of each valve from your merchant and then test by connecting your RVA to a 24V supply, or you could even take a 24V supply with you to the merchant. Depends how friendly you are with the merchant I guess :-). The valve operation can be checked by trying to blow through it.

Or you could try and figure it out based on datasheets. The RVA stroke length is 4.5mm.

There may yet be another method which is to reverse the n/o n/c state of the actuator which may avoid need for 24V, but I haven't tried this myself.

Karam
      Thanks Karam, good suggestions. Indeed, I've seen the stroke measurements and do intend to try matching the RVA to valve at the merchants but lack of putting water through was making me hope to hear other's experiences. I'd not thought of blowing through it !
      Jon

Comment

• JonS
        Automated Home Guru
        • Dec 2007

I took an RVA to my local plumbing centre brought back some selections and then wired it up at home to check using the blow-through method and hence ended up with the Honeywell ones mentioned on the Idratek site. This may not be fool-proof as air will pass-through even if the valve isn't fully open. However it was good enough for me. I went to PTS at a quiet time and they were really helpful.
        JonS

Comment

• Karam
          Automated Home Legend
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JonS View Post
          This may not be fool-proof as air will pass-through even if the valve isn't fully open.
          Good point. If memory serves me correctly I think you may often be able to see the valve aperture too? In any case remember that these actuators take 3-4 minutes before they start moving, probably longer if cold.

Karam

Comment

Working...
          X