Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is?

Default Re: what is?

"Wireless CBus" has just launched in Oz and will be available in the UK shortly, so you can retro fit to existing property and even integrate with normal hard-wired CBus using a gateway.

M.

Automated Home Jr Member

The reason I ask is that I am very new to all this and am deciding whether to go down the x10, c-bus or zwave line.

At the moment, its just investagation as I am moving house soon (hopefully) and don't want to do any major wiring.

Automated Home Guru FrankMcAlinden's Avatar

Hi Slicker
    I think CBUS is the way to go although it wont be cheap ...If you can at least hardwire the upstairs and tie in the downstairs using cbus wireless with the gateway......I would be reluctant to install x10 stuff ....
    Zwave may be an option although not sure if they have switches avaialble as yet........
    Frank

Automated Home Jr Member

Can I just use Cat5 for C-Bus or do I need anything else??

Am guessing the I just add the new wiring to my exisitng power points and change the sockets?

Can I just use Cat5 for C-Bus or do I need anything else??

You can use cat5...But clipsal have their own "pink"cat5 which is mains rated which would be the recommended to use....although dearer

Am guessing the I just add the new wiring to my exisitng power points and change the sockets

The cat5 is only wired to where you are installing light switches ?? not power points...If wanting to control power points you need to wire them back to cbus relay modules.....If wanting to switch table lamps etc might be better to use cbus wireless appliance modules which you can plug table lamps into..also theres a dimmer version as well...
    HTH
    Frank

Automated Home Jr Member

ahh - ok... so I use the cat5 to go to the light switches... I don't need to run mains to there as well? The mains goes to the C-Bus modules.. correct?

Do the appliance modules work in a similar fashion to the x10 modules?

ahh - ok... so I use the cat5 to go to the light switches... I don't need to run mains to there as well? The mains goes to the C-Bus modules.. correct?

Thats correct loop cat5 from switch to switch you can even wire in a star configuration..Yes the mains wiring goes to where you have the cbus modules located......

Do the appliance modules work in a similar fashion to the x10 modules?

Yes but hopefully without the clunking sound the x10 modules make, i only have a dimmer module so cant verify that...and they look a lot better too....
    Frank

Automated Home Jr Member

Can I use similar IR and RF remotes to control the C-Bus in the same as as the X10 can be controlled?

Can I use similar IR and RF remotes to control the C-Bus in the same as as the X10 can be controlled?

Im assuming you mean can you use the remotes you currently use for x10..???..Cbus have their own ir and rf remotes...Although im using a cheap 6 button remote to control my lites via Homevision.....
    HTH
    Frank