• Show
Clear All
  • domloff
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jun 2007

Z-Wave US and Europe

Hi

New here ...

I'm thinking of jumping on the Z-Wave bandwagon (mainly for those Danfoss Rad controllers)

But, I have a Hi-Velocity air con system, and I've noticed that I can get a Z-Wave Air controller that should just go in place of my existing zone controllers. (Only 4 of my rooms are air con'd)

The trouble is that it looks like this is a US version of Z-Wave.

My questions are:

Can they live side by side (US and Europe)?

Can I have both USB controllers connected to one PC?

Will HomeSeer work with both simultaneously?

Thanks in advance for any help here!

Dom
  • miklosbiro
    Automated Home Lurker
    • May 2008

Z-Wave US - Europe intercompatibility

I'm staying in the states right now and planning to buy Z-Wave devices for my European home as they are cheaper here. Z-Wave works via RF so I guess lamp switches and other simple devices should work with 230V too. Is that right? I need devices to control lights, heating, AC and shutters.
    Anyone knows what devices are compatible with European standards?
    thanks.

Comment

• Kevin
      • Jan 2004

The Z-Wave US radio frequency is different to the European/UK one so devices on one version will not interwork with the other. I do not know if they can happily co-exist though. I suspect it would technically be illegal to use the US frequency devices in the UK. Dom - if you find answers to your questions - inparticular the dual interfaces to HomeSeer let me know.

Also any device that attaches to the mains wiring must be appropriately designed for the matching voltage. A lightswitch or similar that attaches to US 110V only could (and must) not be directly used on 230/240V mains eg UK. There is also a frequency difference of 50Hz v 60Hz but I don't think that is a problem. Lastly US devices are not generally CE approved , which is a mandatory requirement in Europe.

Kevin
      Last edited by Kevin; 13 May 2008, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• AutomatedOutlet
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
        There is also a frequency difference of 50Hz v 60Hz but I don't think that is a problem.
        Yes, this can cause issues with flicker.
        Martin Custer
        Martin@AutomatedOutlet.com
        www.AutomatedOutlet.com

Comment

• domloff
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
          The Z-Wave US radio frequency is different to the European/UK one so devices on one version will not interwork with the other. I do not know if they can happily co-exist though. I suspect it would technically be illegal to use the US frequency devices in the UK. Dom - if you find answers to your questions - inparticular the dual interfaces to HomeSeer let me know.

Also any device that attaches to the mains wiring must be appropriately designed for the matching voltage. A lightswitch or similar that attaches to US 110V only could (and must) not be directly used on 230/240V mains eg UK. There is also a frequency difference of 50Hz v 60Hz but I don't think that is a problem. Lastly US devices are not generally CE approved , which is a mandatory requirement in Europe.

Kevin
          I know technically we are not allowed to use non CE approved stuff here in the UK, but it is all short range equipment, so you'll have to be very unlucky to get a knock from the fuzz about using it!

Still trying to find out if using 2 USB Z-wave devices would work in HomeSeer.

I can't see a problem from a ahrdware point of view as they'll both have different COM ports.

Its just if you can set up two z-Wave interfaces in HomeSeer or not.

I suspect this can be done with the Pro version, not sure about the standard version ...

I'm amazed not many people have done this already (if any!)

Dom

Comment

• bagpuss
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Sep 2008

So did anyone confirm whether Homeseer can support 2 adapters simultaneously? Whether they be US+Euro Z-Wave, or Z-Wave + X10?

Comment

• Phooto
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Nov 2008

Z-Wave US frequency is within the UK's GSM band, so you could get interference from cellular phones. You're not likely to cause interference, as the power is very low (1mW), and the transmission very short, but the 2W power of a GSM phone will swamp the Z-Wave receiver.

Comment

Working...
              X