• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Water Temperature Indicator

'quite taken with :

that Mark flagged-up, 'though looks like it's either red or blue ...

so, wondered if there could be a way of indicating water temperature more precisely ... sensor + small LCD display in the wall by the tap, maybe ...

could be handy, if economical ... not sure how to do the sensor, but am guessing the upcoming display modules could be part of it ...
    Our self-build - going further with HA...
  • Gumby
    • May 2004

That's quite a neat idea.

I've always had a plan to sense the temp of some water pipes in my airing cupboard. I'm assuming an analogue module and a temperature sensor, ideally with 0-10V output. I've seen one sensor, but it would really need an amplifier since it was 0-2V I think, so I must have another look around or build a linear amp!
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Karam
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Gumby View Post
      I've always had a plan to sense the temp of some water pipes in my airing cupboard. I'm assuming an analogue module and a temperature sensor, ideally with 0-10V output. I've seen one sensor, but it would really need an amplifier since it was 0-2V I think, so I must have another look around or build a linear amp!
      The QAI module can have its range 'modded' to 3.3V so you may be able to use since the resolution probably doesn't need to be that high. Alternatively a thermistor type sensor?

BTW where does the power come from for this gadget and anyone know what range of 'faucets' it can fit?
      Last edited by Karam; 7 April 2008, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• Kevin
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Gumby View Post
        ...I've always had a plan to sense the temp of some water pipes in my airing cupboard. I'm assuming an analogue module and a temperature sensor...
        Or you could use 1-wire sensors and xAP - either via a (free) PC application or the standalone 'OPNone' controller. All my non IDRANet temp devices integrate this way. They work well and appear just like native Cortex ones with the same connections, graphing etc.

Also one of the supported 1-wire devices via xAP / OPNone is a small low cost 4x20 or 2x40 line LCD device with 3 buttons - that you could route your Cortex broadcast messages to - or target directly with a custom message for temperature display.

Kevin

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

If you go to Texas Instruments web site you may be able to ask for some free samples of their 1-wire DS1820 temperature sensors. I did this and received 2 of them in the post about 5 days later all for free.
          And who says you can't get anything for free these days.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

'am quite keen to have all automation linked into Idratek, rather than stand-alone ... for being able to make maximum use of available information, for better functionality, overall ... Kevin's xAP sounds useful, if a more direct / integral approach isn't possible ... 'tis clear I'm going to have to get into xAP !
            Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 7 April 2008, 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling / typing !
            Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

Working...
            X