• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • No Name
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2008

What do I need for the whole house?

This might seem a silly question...

I am in the process of wiring a bungalow to live in, not very big, just kitchen/living room/hallway/bedroom/bathroom.

I keep looking at the Idratek site, and making up a list of what I need but it soon gets out of control and becomes a wish list!

Perhaps I should do a room at a time?

I know this is quite an open ended question, just trying to figure out what sort of level of automation to go for...
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Not a silly question, just a difficult one !!

We're part-way through first-fix, meaning we're laying pipes & conduits, and we don't have an answer ! Before we started, we sent simple diagrams showing the plan of the house to the guys, plus some notes on what we were aiming for, but there was no answer, 'cos it's too difficult ...

Lots of Cat-5 is part of the answer,but how much to where ?

Actually, it was pretty difficult trying to decide where to run just mains-power, 'though the day dawned eventually, and we now aim to run the Cat-5 to the same places, plus spurs (as it were) to where we need sensor modules etc (ie: light, temp', PIR, humidity, and reed-switches) ...

But how much Cat-5 ? For Idratek that's easy - one ('though we'll probably do two, just in-case, and because the house is not so small) - but for the rest (ie: Ethernet, displays, audio-video, etc, etc) ... hmmm, how about five, or ten, or ...

Not much of an answer, I'm afraid, but maybe it'll provoke somone ! ?

NB: did you see David's Blog ... see another of the Idratek threads, if not ?
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Gumby
      • May 2004

There's no easy answer to that one.

It is possible to rollout the automation room by room and function by function. Since Idratek is strongly based on presence sensing it is important to get that in place early on. A typical first step might be getting presence sensing in place and then automating the lighting.

I would suggest getting an overall plan including everything you can ever think of and then laying it out as a table by room and by function. So you might have a row for lighting, for example. In each box you can record the modules you need. This will let you know everywhere you need to run mains and/or cat-5. You can always run it to a box and then fit a blanking plate.

Having done this you can then fit modules in waves to spread the cost.

Have read in the forums to get an idea for what might be automated, but also try and think of things you might want for your particular situation.
      ----------------------
      www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

how about a list of possibilities ... eg:

temp' & light & PIR sensors - one per area where people will hang-about

plus one PIR per through-way between inside & outside ...

plus humidity sensors - one near each shower & bath ...

plus one set of temp' & light & humidity sensors outside, somewhere ...

plus one reed-switch per door ...

plus ... hmmm, difficult !

plus one MFP in each key area - eg: kitchen, bed, front-door, desk, workshop ...

plus some sort of link to each household machine - ie: washing-machines, dishwashers, fridges, ovens, hobs, hi-fi, video, heating, lights, ventialtion, PCs, cars, workshop-machines, whatever ...

plus ... automated taps ?

plus ... hmm ! ?

Comment

• Paul_B
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2006

plus one MFP in each key area - eg: kitchen, bed, front-door, desk, workshop .

I my opinion I wouldn't bother with a MFP, I don't like the aesthetics of them. Hopefully, the visual display panels are just around the corner and I would hang out for these instead.

Do agree with you about Cat5 cable you just can't have enough! May also want to consider co-axial cable into the bedrooms and living room for video distribution but isn't essential.

Also consider where you are going to have Node0 i.e. where the computer is going to be located and the serial connection to Idranet. Most people seem to go with the garage or loft. As for PC I'd recommend a Mini-ITX based system (very low power consumption for 24/7 device). Mine is rackmounted, I also have patch panels and gigabit switch in the same rack. Next purchase will be a rackmount NAS device (probably Synology) to replace my current QNAP TS109.

Paul

Comment

• No Name
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Mar 2008

Thanks guys, you have given me lots to think about, and am starting to get more of an idea...

I think I will wait for the display panels, I have a place for Node0, I have a FreeNAS server, the structured wiring I have planned.

I will try and get some ideas together for what I need.

Comment

• Karam
              Automated Home Legend
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by No Name View Post
              I think I will wait for the display panels,
              Just incase you're planning locations for these - they are designed to fit a dual gang pattress box (not double gang). The digital connections will be in the left hand box and a dual relay plug in unit can fit into the right hand box (viewing from front). If you don't want relay outputs then the unit can be fitted asymmetrically over a single pattress box (ie. the left hand box). Two dual relay plug in accessories are supported (ie. 4 relays in total) but you'll have to think of your own method to house this many - we haven't seen any dual gangs deeper than 35mm.

Comment

• No Name
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Mar 2008

Thanks for the info.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I had a quick Google, what is the difference between dual and double gang?

Comment

• Paul_B
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2006

It would be more polite if we knew you name so we could address you properly

A double is like (picture 1):

Whilst a dual is like (picture 2):

HTH

Paul
                  Attached Files

Comment

• No Name
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Mar 2008

Thank you, I thought that might be the case.

Oh, my name is Andrew, Hi...

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Dec 2007

well, that's great ... welcome along, Andrew ...

now what ... ?

actually, if you manage to go-back & edit your original logged-in details, 'would be interested to know how you did it !

let us know, too, what you decide to do ...

Comment

• Gumby
                        • May 2004

Talking DFP boxes

Hmm - retro fitting DFPs over MFP boxes is going to be interesting, I guess the second screw could go into a wallplug may be, if the relays aren't used. What a pity I just routed the new door bell cable to use a relay on an MFP :-(

With a bit of careful measurement/fixing you could use 2 single 47mm boxes to get some additional depth.
                        ----------------------
                        www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Dec 2007

Hmmm .. interesting - I wasn't assuming DFPs would supersede MFPs ... !

Comment

• No Name
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
                            actually, if you manage to go-back & edit your original logged-in details, 'would be interested to know how you did it !
                            Um, I'm having a 'blonde' moment...

What should I edit?

Comment

• Simon George
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Apr 2008

So is this forthcoming DFP the type 1 or type 2 available to add within Cortex ?

An idea of an ETA for this new product ? If not imminent, could I put 2 existing modules (eg. a PLT and a DRB) in a dual gang patress now and then replace them with a DFP once it's available ?

Thanks from a newbie

Comment

Working...
                              X