Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cortex gets logged out / shutdown via RDP

Default Cortex gets logged out / shutdown via RDP

I have Cortex running on an XP (MCE) machine, and I connect to it via RDP. This is an almost vanilla install with Symantec Anti Virus. What I see however is that every few days RDP displays 'Windows is shutting down" and then I get logged off. Worse still Cortex stops :-( When I reconnect I have to log in again and then Cortex starts. I only have the one account with administrator rights and fast user switching is turned on.

In looking at the application log I think this is happening because Symantec Anti Virus is running under a system account / service and every time it downloads a new virus definitions file it forces the complete logout of the RDP/Administrator session , including shutting down Cortex even though fast user switching is enabled. After updating itself it then returns to the user login screen requiring a new login to start Cortex again.

How can I avoid this ?

Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin; 7th April 2008 at 02:38 PM.

Well, I abandoned Norton Security because I got fed up of the side effects. I manually perform all updates periodically and have my computer automatically log the Cortex user straight in, and Cortex set up as an auto-start program so that on a restart everything gets kicked off again. My PC can reboot in about 15 seconds so it's not very noticeable. If I could schedule anti-virus updates to the early hours then that would be even better.
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

Oh - and I disconnect the RDP session - if it exists - when I sleep my Mac. Generally this just leads to a disconnection if I forget, but occasionally it has coincided with a restart of the Cortex machine.
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

Hmm sounds like a session shutdown rather than a dis-connect. Can you change the default behaviour in Windows XP remote desktop settings?

I am running Cortex under Windows 2003 Server (Technet Licence) and I connect to console. Then I just disconnect my RDP session and pickup the next time around

Paul

Automated Home Sr Member John Winter's Avatar

Paul - as you must be one of the few users running Cortex on Windows Server 2003 (like me), have you experienced any black screens and what look to be lock ups on switching the console's session from a remote terminal to the local machine? It's happened to me on several occasions now, and at the moment I'm suspecting the video drivers, unless you can offer any pearls of wisdom....

John
    --------------------------

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

John,

I can't say that I have but then my server is rack-mounted and headless so I never log into it directly. It took me a while to get Cortex working over RDP and basically it seemed to need changing the default RDP parameters so no redirection occurred. I also connect to the console with mstsc /v:server_name /console

Becuase of these issues I would to see Cortex split into service and console

Paul

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
    Becuase of these issues I would to see Cortex split into service and console

Paul
    IMO anything that is not seperated into service and console is not fit for use on a windows PC acting as a server.

I think that is very harsh. Cortex is in incrdeibly powerful and complex application, but also very well thought out. It was my decision to install Cortex on a server OS and I believe Idratek's recommended implementation is Windows XP.

I can understand that Cortex started as an application and has grown. It would take some considerably time to properly separate the functionallity betwen a true service and console. Time that is difficult to justify with the wealth of new additions and functionallity that keep getting added.

So the splitting of the app for me remains a wish list item and I am more than happy to run Cortex as I do.

Paul

Automated Home Sr Member John Winter's Avatar

Paul - My server is rackmount also, and I connect with mstsc -v:server2003 /F -console.

Just for ease of use, I have a local monitor/kbrd/mouse and use it to carry out updates and other things requiring a physical presence at the server.

I think I'll update the drivers for my video card and take it from there.

Cheers
    --------------------------

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

I'd be interested in how you get on. Just realised I upgraded my version of MSTSC some time ago as well, the version I run is 6.0.6000.16386, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925876/en-us.

Then my RDP settings are:

Remote Computer Sound: Leave at remote computer
    All other facilities (printer, drives, etc) are left at remote computer
    Clipboard is brought to local computer

HTH

Paul