X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin
    • Jan 2004

Cortex gets logged out / shutdown via RDP

I have Cortex running on an XP (MCE) machine, and I connect to it via RDP. This is an almost vanilla install with Symantec Anti Virus. What I see however is that every few days RDP displays 'Windows is shutting down" and then I get logged off. Worse still Cortex stops :-( When I reconnect I have to log in again and then Cortex starts. I only have the one account with administrator rights and fast user switching is turned on.

In looking at the application log I think this is happening because Symantec Anti Virus is running under a system account / service and every time it downloads a new virus definitions file it forces the complete logout of the RDP/Administrator session , including shutting down Cortex even though fast user switching is enabled. After updating itself it then returns to the user login screen requiring a new login to start Cortex again.

How can I avoid this ?

Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin; 7 April 2008, 01:38 PM.
  • Gumby
    • May 2004

Well, I abandoned Norton Security because I got fed up of the side effects. I manually perform all updates periodically and have my computer automatically log the Cortex user straight in, and Cortex set up as an auto-start program so that on a restart everything gets kicked off again. My PC can reboot in about 15 seconds so it's not very noticeable. If I could schedule anti-virus updates to the early hours then that would be even better.
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Gumby
      • May 2004

Oh - and I disconnect the RDP session - if it exists - when I sleep my Mac. Generally this just leads to a disconnection if I forget, but occasionally it has coincided with a restart of the Cortex machine.
      ----------------------
      www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Paul_B
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2006

Hmm sounds like a session shutdown rather than a dis-connect. Can you change the default behaviour in Windows XP remote desktop settings?

I am running Cortex under Windows 2003 Server (Technet Licence) and I connect to console. Then I just disconnect my RDP session and pickup the next time around

Paul

Comment

• John Winter
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Dec 2007

Paul - as you must be one of the few users running Cortex on Windows Server 2003 (like me), have you experienced any black screens and what look to be lock ups on switching the console's session from a remote terminal to the local machine? It's happened to me on several occasions now, and at the moment I'm suspecting the video drivers, unless you can offer any pearls of wisdom....

John
          --------------------------

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

Comment

• Paul_B
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2006

John,

I can't say that I have but then my server is rack-mounted and headless so I never log into it directly. It took me a while to get Cortex working over RDP and basically it seemed to need changing the default RDP parameters so no redirection occurred. I also connect to the console with mstsc /v:server_name /console

Becuase of these issues I would to see Cortex split into service and console

Paul

Comment

• richms
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Paul_B View Post
              Becuase of these issues I would to see Cortex split into service and console

Paul
              IMO anything that is not seperated into service and console is not fit for use on a windows PC acting as a server.

Comment

• Paul_B
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2006

I think that is very harsh. Cortex is in incrdeibly powerful and complex application, but also very well thought out. It was my decision to install Cortex on a server OS and I believe Idratek's recommended implementation is Windows XP.

I can understand that Cortex started as an application and has grown. It would take some considerably time to properly separate the functionallity betwen a true service and console. Time that is difficult to justify with the wealth of new additions and functionallity that keep getting added.

So the splitting of the app for me remains a wish list item and I am more than happy to run Cortex as I do.

Paul

Comment

• John Winter
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Dec 2007

Paul - My server is rackmount also, and I connect with mstsc -v:server2003 /F -console.

Just for ease of use, I have a local monitor/kbrd/mouse and use it to carry out updates and other things requiring a physical presence at the server.

I think I'll update the drivers for my video card and take it from there.

Cheers

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

Comment

• Paul_B
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jul 2006

I'd be interested in how you get on. Just realised I upgraded my version of MSTSC some time ago as well, the version I run is 6.0.6000.16386, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925876/en-us.

Then my RDP settings are:

Remote Computer Sound: Leave at remote computer
                    All other facilities (printer, drives, etc) are left at remote computer
                    Clipboard is brought to local computer

HTH

Paul

Comment

• Kevin
                      • Jan 2004

Just going back to my original problem where RDP sessions were getting logged out and the PC rebooted...

I've spent an awful lot of time trying to resolve this as obviously it's made the Cortex install unsatisfactory... I've patched RDP and also setup autologins/program startup but it was still happening - and no clues in the system / event logs... I even re-installed the whole OS.... and then.... I happened to notice that defibrillator popped up - and restarted the PC ! I was working on Cortex at the time and I believe it was running fine... so I wonder if there could be something interacting here ? Something that could stop Defibrillator seeing Cortex ?

I'm going to disable defib and see if my overnight restarts go away....

Kevin

PS Would messages in the World object history of "World * Improper program termination detected * " be consistent with this ? Also would it be possible to try and written entry in the Windows logging if this is happening - prior to restart as Windows itself seems to be still functional.
                      Last edited by Kevin; 18 April 2008, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• Viv
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Dec 2004

[QUOTE=Kevin;7609]

PS Would messages in the World object history of "World * Improper program termination detected * " be consistent with this ?

This is the message you will see if Task Manager is used to terminate Cortex or if the PC is re-booted without shutting down Cortex by the normal means. So this is consistent with Defibrillator re-booting the PC.

Comment

• Kevin
                          • Jan 2004

Stopping Defibrillator has fixed my restarts and Cortex has never quit either. It seems defib believes Cortex has locked up and restarts the PC. Not sure what causes this (its an MCE machine) as it happens typically early hours 3am/4am ish. Possibly Windows update although I have it set to download only - not apply.

K

Comment

• John Winter
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Dec 2007

Just for to add a footnote to my partial thread hijack earlier.. I did update my nVidia drivers - and have since not had any black screen lockups when logging in on my Windows 2K3 box. Must have been some kind of conflict going on there.

Cheers

John

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

Comment

• Paul_B
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jul 2006

Cool, glad it is now working and thanks for posting back.

Comment

Working...
                              X