• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nunners
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2004

Running CAT5 cable outside

I'm starting to make build up my HA plans for my new house - previous house was HA'd but very limited - and the first thing I want to do is move various bits of network kit around, and indeed add CAT5 points around the house.

Luckily, most of them are on the outside walls of the house, thus meaning in theory I can run everything outside, then into my patch panel (underneath the stairs) and I'm sorted!

To make it look tidy I'd like to either bury or at least cover the cables that will run outside - does anyone know where I can get conduit type protection for running up to about 10 cables in one "pipe" for outside use?

I had thought about small gauge guttering pipes, but that could prove expensive. Also, one run is from the ground to the loft - about 25ft - and will be 3/4 cables - anyone any thought on this?

Once I've finished I am going to post a progress report for the Node0 page!

Cheers
    Nunners
  • stickman
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2008

I would be tempted to use external rated cat 5. Ordinary cat 5 will be easier damaged by sunlight and frost making the casing less flexible and therefore possible cracking can occur. If damp gets in the wiring will degrade. I do know people who have used internal rated cat 5 and it has worked well for them. Another problem is vermin eating at the wiring and other mechanical damage.

Also do not forget the internal Cat5 is more susceptible to damage from lightning.

You should put it into a PVC or metal trunking.

If you go down the external Cat5 route expect to pay slightly less than double the price.

Comment

• Nunners
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2004

Do you know some reasonably priced suppliers of both/either? (Preferably online)

Thanks
      Nunners

Comment

• stickman
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Apr 2008

A quick google hunt revealed these guys

HTML Code:
        http://www.networkcablingservices.co.uk/index.html
        The page you want is here

HTML Code:
        http://www.networkcablingservices.co.uk/acatalog/CAT_5e_cable.html