X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin
    • Jan 2004

Infrared sensor extensions

I note that the IR modules indicate an external receiver can be used up to 50cm and a transmitter up to 3m. Are these very fixed limits ? I suspect the receiver one might be.

Is there enough current drive available for a couple of transmitters and which sensors can be used - particularly the receiver (3 wire).

Do Idratek sell these sensors , perhaps prewired ?

Kevin
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

No, the limits are conservative. I think the amswer is just to try and see what you get away with. If you stick to shielded cable then I'm pretty sure you can go further, but you may need to attach a small capacitor across IR receiver supply pins at the receiver itself. The receiver type is TSOP34838. Unfortunately we don't yet supply ready made plug in extensions for either RX or TX. Though we can supply the devices themselves if you can't source elsewhere.

The IR TX connection can deliver pulse peaks of up to 1A so you may actually need a current limiting resistor if the emmitters you use are not up to that (its just short pulses @1A of course). More typically an extension might be used to route the IR directly to the receiver location and the emmission power is better off being quite low, in which case a 1k resistor might be suitable.

Comment

Working...
    X