Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cortex run command

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
    Does anyone know if it is possible to call out from Cortex to a batch file? If not could I accomplish the same through XAP?
    Paul
    Cortex Release 23.1.1 can execute a standard windows shell command from a macro object.

Viv

It's great having a developer who responds so quickly to user requests - well done Idratek/Viv :-)

Kevin

It really is amazing and what sets Idratek apart. I know this may not last for ever as the product grows. But for now it is wonderful.

Many thanks,

Paul

Automated Home Jr Member jcmiguel's Avatar

Default Media center control

Hello all, I am thinking about IDRATEK as my automation solution and I agree that a user interface away from the net is needed. I would think that a windows media center or vista media center like the one available fro HAI should be interesting. I would prefer to go linux as my media center will be mythtv and that is open source. I am no progammer but I like to try things. The Ideal situation is having the media center sending commands via network to Cortex server. Any suggestion where to start?
    Carlos

Hi Carlos,

Well I'm loving my IDRANet bits so far :-)

I have a very diverse range of things from many manufacturers that I've integrated into my HA system - part out of planning and part as an exercise in just proving it can be done.

I've played a lot with graphic front ends ranging from costly AMX/Crestron down to free PC based software applications, but so far it's just playing as getting things visually attractive takes a lot of time. I don't want to harp on about xAP too much but as a feature within Cortex it allows you to create two way realtime interaction between Cortex objects and external mechanisms - over Ethernet.

You could use this with a some programming expertise to achieve what you are after or you could use an existing graphic/touch screen application that has xAP capabilities (there are a few of these) . I already use some of these with my other xAP applications and I will be putting together some screen shots shortly of their use with IDRANet, I'll post them here if there's interest.

These commercial/free applications allow you to design screens either as web pages (with realtime updates) or they are standalone Windows applications , that also work on Windows PPC (CE) devices. So you can already create nice front ends for an IDRANet HA setup - and for very low cost :-) Unfortunately I don't know of one that is xAP enabled and runs on Linux though.

Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin; 6th May 2008 at 11:44 PM.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

>post them here if there's interest ...

Kevin - there's definitely interest here !!

OK.. I'll get some screens together that show the status of a few IDRANet devices. . and say some lighting control .. Meanwhile here's an example of a touchscreen layout I already use for my Sonos control - it is sized -and useable from a Nokia 770 tablet (or a PC) and everything is realtime - the elapsed times, progress bars , buttons controls etc. This is an adapted screen from another user 'Osler' btw - not my own work.

http://www.ukusa.demon.co.uk/Sonos%20Example.jpg

Now any of those text/numeric/slider fields you see in the image above can be updated from xAP messages and hence report the status of any IDRANet device :-) Likewise any of the buttons can control your devices on IDRANet or trigger Cortex actions.

Just so it's got at least one IDRANet sensor on there I have popped in the temperature from my external LTH module sensor in the top right hand corner . Nice to see double figure values at last ;-)

Kevin

Just thought I'd report back on my use of the run command from a Macro.

Recently I have purchased a Media Centre server which is a Core2 Quad and Intel x48 chipset. Great machine but power hungry drawing ~140W whilst running. So I want to hibernate it whenever I'm not using it.

I have just moved my Squeezecenter (aka Slimserver) for Squeezebox to this machine and it is much more responsive than my Mini-ITX server that I was previously using. Cortex remains on the much more frugal Mini-ITX server.

When I hit the power-down on the Squeezebox remote it sends an output to Cortex (Cortex has a object for Squeezebox). I have created a macro that calls a batch file after waiting 10 seconds. The batch file uses Sysinternals psshutdown.exe which sends a hibernate command to the Core2 server.

To wake the server up I just hit the power button on the Squeezebox remote. The SB3 has the ability to send a Magic packet Wake-on-LAN and within a minute the Core2 server is fully operational and sent a response to Cortex.

Very happy and could obviously be taken further with powering on and off the AV Amp as well.

Paul

Automated Home Sr Member

Default Run command

I've been asking for the "run external task" command for a while, and it's great to see it's been implemented.

When will 23.1 be released? Your post above implies you have the code already, but my auto-upgrade is still saying that 22.1.11 is the latest.

Cheers

Neil
    www.spellings.net

Available now and is invoked from the macro object in Cortex. Think the wording is run shell command.

Paul