• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A_Saint
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2008

What can the wall switch dim?

Hi all.

First post. I'm new to home automation. I have tinkered with an X-10 start up kit for a few years, but I am now keen to expand to automate most of my lighting and some appliances. Z-Wave seems the better technology so I will be transferring over from x-10. However I do have one concern (which may also apply to X-10?)

How does the Z-wave wall switch (http://www.letsautomate.com/12575.cf...D09F56DEC239B5) dim the light. I know some x10 devices rapidly switch on and off rather than use a variable resistor, making them unsuitable for Halogen bulbs. Lets automate states incandescent bulbs only so it sounds like it could be the same problem, has any one tried?
    I could switch from Halogens to incandescents but I can foresee another problem. It looks as if the government may soon ban incandescent bulbs in an energy saving/environmental move. Allowing only forecent energy saving bulbs. There are dimable energy savers on the market but again will they work with this switch? I would like to buy a number of these for my house and would not like to be stuck with dimmers that wont dim any available bulbs. Alternatively I would happy to settle for a standard switch (not a dimmer) but there does not appear to be a z-wave one on the market?
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Looking at the details on lets automate. This device has no neutral, so it probably gets the return path via the bulb. Which is why it says incandescent bulbs.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• A_Saint
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Apr 2008

Thanks for your reply, toscal.
      So that will prevent the use of energy savers due to a required return path though the bulb. Halogens and the energy saving halogen (led) bulbs should be fine? But they may emit a glow as the switch draws current though them? Any may not like being dimmed?

Does any one know if there is going to be a standard non-dimming z-wave switch released to the UK market, any time soon? Or would it be best to stay with x-10?

Comment

• Jimll
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Mar 2006

there is already a no dim vertion available but it requires a neutral wire. I have tried the dimmer with a energy bulb and it does not work very well It is ok with 240v halogens which are actually just mini incandesent.
        also merton have a micro controller that fits behind the light fitting I have one of these but it is not dimmable that should be comeing soon.
        James Clabon

Comment

• sonix
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Jimll View Post
          there is already a no dim vertion available but it requires a neutral wire. I have tried the dimmer with a energy bulb and it does not work very well It is ok with 240v halogens which are actually just mini incandesent.
          also merton have a micro controller that fits behind the light fitting I have one of these but it is not dimmable that should be comeing soon.
          Hi Jimll,

Where can you buy these "merton" micro controllers?

Thanks.

snx.

Comment

Working...
          X