• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Controlling household goods

Washing machines, dishwashers, ovens, hobs, micro-wave ovens, fridges, freezers, vacuum's ... hi-fi, 'phones ... central heating ... the list is endless ! Stand-alone machines & systems ... which it would be good to interface with Idratek. Obviously, simple on/off is possible ... and if the appliance has a start button (dishwashers & washing machines often do), then that would be easy to link-in, too, by simply tapping across the connections for the switch ... but what if more sophistication is wanted ... ?

Hmmm .. any ideas ?
    Our self-build - going further with HA...
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

I looked into this when I first got started and decided maybe the best method would be current sensors to detect when machines finish. Then an alert could be sent and the machine turned off rather than left on standy-by.

I have a Liebherr Freezer that has an interface for home-automation (think it is EBUS or something) it allows for temperature interogation, temperature rising, door open, power failure.

Paul

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

>Leibherr ...

yep ... ISTR they are EIB/KNX ... would be good if Idratek could talk that protocol, too ... ... ... X-10 is all very well, but it's deep last-century !

We'll almost certainly be linking Idratek to the start-switches of our machines (so we can signal they're to run, but at convenient times - after we've gone to-bed, while we're watching a movie, while we're in another room, when the power's on E7 ... whatever) ... but 'was hoping to be more-clever still !

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

eg: anyone managed to add a reed-switch to a fridge / freezer / washer door in a neat way that doesn't upset SWMBO or the warranty ... the squishy seal adds an issue, of course ! Doesn't have to be a reed-switch, I guess ...

Comment

• n07tv
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • May 2004

Chris,

When I got my systme first up and running I did put a DTS in my fridge for a few months.

Why? Well two reasons, one to settle a bet about what temperature they run at and secondly to see how good they are at keeping things cool (i.e. regulation) and th eeffect of opening the door etc. Interesting results whihc won my bet.

I did actually drill through the back and send the CAT5 out that way, with the DTS mounted in a surface patress glued to the back. It's since been removed and the hole filled.

N.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

interesting ... 'think you were brave, drilling through the back (I'd have worried about going-through a cool-pipe) ... makes me wonder, too, how fridges control temperature (bi-metal strip, perhaps), and if Idratek could do better, more economically, and more reliably ???

'not sure about Paul's idea of monitoring current ... would have to profile the cycles, maybe, and create a quite complex macro ... unless working on the idea that no current for a while means it's finished ...

still looking for a neat way to add reed-switch & magnet to the door of a fridge or freezer ... working across a the seal ! Maybe some sort of plug & socket would work ... Apple laptops use a magnetic connector for mains', 'wonder if that could work here, too ???

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

anyone tried linking Iratek to (eg) a Hörmann garage-door ... radio-controlled, plus two buttons on the motor-unit, with lots of options ... ???

BTW .. still quite like the Nice key-pads & controllers ... would be good if Idratek had something similar !

Comment

• Gumby
                • May 2004

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post

still looking for a neat way to add reed-switch & magnet to the door of a fridge or freezer ... working across a the seal ! Maybe some sort of plug & socket would work ... Apple laptops use a magnetic connector for mains', 'wonder if that could work here, too ???
                Patio door reed switches (stick on jobbies) avoid any holes and cen be removed avoiding damage to warranty. They are designed for uPVC doors and windows where any drilling will void the warranty. Might not meet the aesthetic requirements though.
                ----------------------
                www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Dec 2007

fridges, freezers ... upright models can have doors opening left & right, which maybe gives some options for adding switches - ie: 'notice ours have removable panels for the side not used for the hinge, with not-so-small spaces behind ...

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Dec 2007

>aesthetic requirements ...

actually, these don't seem too-bad :

'though perhaps depends exactly how the cable comes-out of the switch-piece (not clear in the photo') - and maybe need to see them in the flesh !

Comment

Working...
                    X