• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bov
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2008

Electrical Storage Heating?

My house uses storage heaters - which are now getting a bit old and losing efficiency. What are the current thoughts on the best automated electric storage heating? I notice that some units now talk to each other and use a central thermostat control rather than individual units with just a "flap" to let the heat out.
  • pn125
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2008

Hi Bov,
    If your storage heaters are wired into a separate source i.e Economy 7, 10 etc then you are quite limited on direct replacements. For traditional 'storage' heaters then it is usually Dimplex,Creda,Sunhouse etc.

The Dimplex units that have the 'Duoheat' function rely on 2 separate electrical feeds - 1 which is the Economy 7, the other which is normal supply used to 'boost' the output if required.

The 'Mains Bourne signalling' option also uses a normal supply - not Economy 7to individually control & program each heater. So the toss up would be to use traditional storage heaters with poor control but cheaper electricity, or use the MBS option on normal domestic tarriff but it will cost more & you would need to change how they are wired.

Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Paul.

Comment

• bov
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Apr 2008

Great info, thanks for the feedback Paul.

Most of the storage heaters I currently use have both an economy 7 feed and a standard mains feed that supplies a separate boost heater (featuring a super advanced control called a "switch"). I presume that would allow me to go for the more advanced duo heat options with mains bourne control? If it works well I can look to have an additional feed into some of the other locations.

Any thoughts as to which ones are the best / most advanced?

Cheers.

Comment

• pn125
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jan 2008

It would probably be the Dimplex 'Duoheat' with the MBS units which are plug in cartridges. You can have a 'Multi-Zone' programmer - RXMBS4 ( mains bourne signalling) which will then 'talk' to each of the RX03002 receivers which you can configure to be in 4 separate zones & means you can control/configure the heaters from 1 location.

I have installed these systems and they have been easy and reliable so far !

Good luck.
        Paul.

Comment

Working...
        X