• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iusesellotape
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2008

New central heating system

Hi all,

I've just moved into my new house and I've decided to buy a brandy new central heating system, as my one seems a little past it. However, I've been living in the USA for the past five years, and having come back to the UK I don't know who's good, who's bad and so on. Having tried to look at my options (bearing in mind I've only been here a month or so and that's been tied up with moving, sorting out schools, doctors and so on) I've decided I'm confused and am appealing for recommendations. Has anyone used Northern Gas for central heating? They looked OK on their website (http://www.northerngasheating.com) but can anyone give me a personal experience? Cheers, Mandy.
  • Octi-man
    Automated Home Lurker
    • May 2008

Hi iusesellotape, ok brace yourself, I have invented a new way to plumb and control a central heating system. How would you like a system that can heat one radiator at a time? one room at a time? infact heat when you need it where you need it and only when you ask for it.

Our first test results show savings as high as 60%...... ( no im not on drugs)

You can call me on 07813760394.

Rich.

Comment

• NeilUK
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by iusesellotape View Post
      Hi all,

I've just moved into my new house and I've decided to buy a brandy new central heating system, as my one seems a little past it. However, I've been living in the USA for the past five years, and having come back to the UK I don't know who's good, who's bad and so on. Having tried to look at my options (bearing in mind I've only been here a month or so and that's been tied up with moving, sorting out schools, doctors and so on) I've decided I'm confused and am appealing for recommendations. Has anyone used Northern Gas for central heating? They looked OK on their website (http://www.northerngasheating.com) but can anyone give me a personal experience? Cheers, Mandy.
      Do you mean that the boiler is unreliable or pipework and rads are in poor condition?

If you are changing the entire system then you have some options to consider. You should really consider some basic zoning as a minimum improvement, having the bedrooms on one zone and the main reception rooms on another. This means you are not heating the entire house unneccesarily. You could go for room by room zoning either by using clever zone valves on the radiators (keeps the plumbing entirely standard) or use manifolds to zone the pipework (a bit like with underfloor heating).

For the boiler I would recomend a decent condensing boiler from the likes of Worcester Bosch - more expensive than some but generally well made, reliable and with good service back up from the manufacturer.

In terms of companies then personal recomendations are the best way forward. If you can post your location then there may be forum members who can give you some leads.

Comment

• tabath
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Apr 2008

You are better off going for a local company by recommendation. The price will be better and they are going to be more likely to sort out any future problems you might have cos their local rep. will depend on it. Get at least 3 quotes.

Be aware though that a of installers have standard ways of doing things so not all will be open to any ideas you might have on zoning etc.

I would strongly recommend against zoning all rooms with valves, cost wise this saves no money due to increased materials and upkeep costs. Using type 3 manifold to do this is something I have been looking at and is more cost effective but is not a standard option and would have to be put together as a one off.

Probably a no brainer but check you installers Corgi number against the online Corgi web site as well.

Comment

• NeilUK
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by tabath View Post
          You are better off going for a local company by recommendation. The price will be better and they are going to be more likely to sort out any future problems you might have cos their local rep. will depend on it. Get at least 3 quotes.

Be aware though that a of installers have standard ways of doing things so not all will be open to any ideas you might have on zoning etc.

I would strongly recommend against zoning all rooms with valves, cost wise this saves no money due to increased materials and upkeep costs. Using type 3 manifold to do this is something I have been looking at and is more cost effective but is not a standard option and would have to be put together as a one off.

Probably a no brainer but check you installers Corgi number against the online Corgi web site as well.
          In terms of clever zones valves I should have been clearer - I meant something liek the Honeywell radiator controller that is used by CM Zone or Hometronic and therefore allows room by room zoning by controlling at the radiator and therefore keeping the pipwork completely standard - sometimes easier to do it this way if the plumber is not prepared to do anything out of the ordinary.

Comment

• tabath
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Apr 2008

If your installing from new I would avoid the honeywell rf TRvs - the system is a bodge for existing installations .

Comment

• NeilUK
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Jul 2005

Cannot agree with you there Tabath, the Honeywell RF products are a reliable and effective way of zoning conventionally plumbed heating systems without additional cables or pipework modifications. Hardly a bodge for new or existing installations where room zoning is required. For a new installation where system design can be influenced then manifold distribution/control avoids the need for any form of actuator on the radiator, be it standard TRV or anything else. Manifolds are available pre-manufactured from off the shelf in most plumbing factors, you can even buy them from Screwfix!

Improved zoning and proper heat demand control of the boiler can lead to significant energy savings, 30% or more, and therefore reasonable payback now that energy prices are on the rise again. Bearing in mind that 2/3 of a households energy use is on heating then it really is worth looking at ways to improve efficiency/saving energy when planning for a new heating system.

Anyway we are drifting off topic now as the OP was mostly looking for contractor recomendations and has not replied to any of our more recent posts so may not be interested in controls.

Comment

• tabath
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Apr 2008

I think you are actually agreeing with me there Neil - I would never fit rf controlled TRV's to zone a new installation - always go for the manifold and separate stats in each room - readings are far more acurate and control more reliable and controllable.

Comment

Working...
                X