• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Middle of the night

a thread over on UK_Selfbuild about bedroom lighting got me thinking about underbed lighting, for seeing one's way to the bathroom or fridge or computer without waking the other half ... how about having a PIR low-down to sense when someone gets out of bed ? 'might need a shield to limit field of view ?

'wonder if the approach could be useful elsewhere - eg: to sense when someone's at their desk, gets out the bath ... ???
    Our self-build - going further with HA...
  • Kevin
    • Jan 2004

The pulsor sensors (beam stress) are excellent for this as they detect weight changes in an oval around the installation area and aren't activated by pets etc.

Kevin

Comment

• Paul_B
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2006

Chris,

You have a fridge in your bedroom?

Paul

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

>fridge in your bedroom ...

now, there's an idea !

Even-so, sleepless nights are not so unusual ... making a pot of tea, raiding the fridge, surfing the 'net, all are possibilities ... lucky you, if otherwise !

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

>Pulsor ...

our floors are bonded concrete beam & block, so not really one for us ... for this situation, anyway ...

Comment

• Gumby
            • May 2004

My immediate thoughts are a wall mounted PIR very low and very near the edge of the bed so that the angle is too acute for any movement on the bed (steady! ) to be detected, but close enough that arrival of feet will be.

I can trigger my stairs PIR from about 3m away by waving a hand round a corner, so they are pretty sensitive. This will minimise the level of screening necessary.

Anyone have any idea whether there is any chance of reflections taking place in a room such that they could be falsely triggered? Seems unlikely but just a thought.
            ----------------------
            www.gumbrell.com

Comment

Working...
            X