• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wolfthing
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2004

Range/Repeater Feature

Thanks to the Automated Outlet chaps, my Z-Wave installation is upto six modules - 4 lamp and 2 application.

My garden is now almost entirely controlled by Z-Wave.

In the pump house (for the Koi pond) at the bottom of the garden is a Z-Wave module which is furthest from the house (the rest are in the Workshop next door to the house).

From the patio some 40ft, the remote has difficulty switching these pond lights on and off.

Half way up the garden is a flippin' great big Wendy House. So it occured to me, if these things really do "repeat" the signals I should be able to put a module in there and it'll relay the instructions - essentially up the garden path.

I put a module in, configured it (but didn't plug anything in) and it now all works a treat. It works exactly has described on the packet.

Conclusion? Effective range of the remote is about 30ft, but it can be pushed further with a drop in reliability. Modules really do relay signals!

If I remember I'll post a 'birds eye view' of the garden.
  • MalcolmSu
    • Mar 2024

Re: Range/Repeater Feature

Can I ask, were you hit with customs duty and/or VAT when your Z Wave stuff arrived from the US??

Malcolm

Comment

• Wolfthing
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jun 2004

nope, i didn't get hit for any tax or import duty - i think it might be luck of the draw!

Comment

• MalcolmSu
        • Mar 2024

I assume you didn't order all 6 modules, USB interface and remote at once though! :-)

Malcolm

Comment

• Wolfthing
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jun 2004

Well the last delivery I received from Automated Outlet in the states contained one lamp module from the last order and contained a further two lamp modules and two application modules - five modules in all. The packaging was not at all subtle.

Tax or no tax, I've found the prices to be much more favourable than any I've found in the UK. Even if the tax were to bring the price upto the same pricing as it is in the UK - it's just nice to get hold of the stuff! :wink:

Comment

• dhouston
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Dec 2006

Before buying from the US you should read the specs here.The US units will not interoperate with any units bought later in Europe because they use different frequencies and the output power allowed in the US is a small fraction of European limits.
            davehouston.net

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

Actually Automated outlet can supply UK versions of the Zwave modules so there should be no worries about frequencies etc.
              IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• dhouston
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Dec 2006

I wasn't aware that they were offering European units. If these are European units the range is abysmal.
                davehouston.net

Comment

Working...
                X