• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Current sensor thread

All,

Not sure if anyone has seen the current sensor thread in the Yahoo Group?

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Looks like Comfort provide a sensor called a CSM03 which as far as I can see provides a Open or Closed digital signal:

A Google search suggests at price-point around £20:

and

Question for Karam when he next pops by is could the outputs be used to the Digital Inputs on many of the Idratek modules?

Paul
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Paul_B View Post
    Question for Karam when he next pops by is could the outputs be used to the Digital Inputs on many of the Idratek modules?
    Paul
    It says open collector output so I'm guessing its a current transformer (coil) with output connected to rectifier and transistor such that when sufficient voltage is developed the transistor switches. If so then yes it should be possible to connect directly into an IDRANet digital input. Bear in mind that you would need to feed only the live wire through the coil ie. could not just fit entire power cable through. You could probably make your own by sourcing a suitable current transformer from somewhere.

Karam

Comment

• Kevin
      • Jan 2004

The Plogg device would also seem to fit in well with some of the functionality of Cortex. Metering, graphing , energy analysis etc. Although it's a lot more expensive it actually seems really good value for money as it does so much. It needs a Z-Wave interface as well.

K

Comment

• Karam
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
        It needs a Z-Wave interface as well.
        K
        Do you mean ZigBee, or is there a Z-wave interface as well?

Karam

Comment

• Paul_B
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2006

The Plogg looks nice for functionallity but the form factor is too big for what I was thinking. Really looking for something that will fir in a single patress or possibly a double and feed into IdraNET.

My wish is that Idratek could provide additional functionallity on the modules to do this natively. Karam is correct in that I could make a current transformer / sensor myself but you haven't seen me with a soldiering iron!!!

Comment

• Kevin
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Karam View Post
            Do you mean ZigBee, or is there a Z-wave interface as well?

Karam
            Sorry - a bit Zzzz at the moment - I meant ZigBee ;-)

K

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

How about this for a current sensor :

AC Current Sensor

The Si85xx products are unidirectional AC current sensors available in full-scale ranges of 5, 10 and 20A. Si85xx products are ideal upgrades for older current-sensing technologies offering size, performance and cost advantages over current transformers, Hall effect devices, DCR circuits and other approaches. With its 4x4mm footprint and 1mm height, the Si85xx is among the smallest current sensors available.

The Si85xx paroducts are extremely low loss, adding less than 1.3mΩ of series resistance & less than 2nH series inductance in the sensing path at 25ºC. Current-sensing terminals are isolated from the other package pins to a maximum voltage of 1000VDC. The Si85xx AC Current Sensor family of products mimics the functionality of a traditional current transformer (CT) circuit, with burden resistor, diode and output filter, but ... enhanced performance & added capabilities ... inductive current sensing & onboard signal conditioning electronics to generate a 2V full-scale output signal proportional to the AC current flowing from the IIN to the IOUT terminals.

The Si85xx Evaluation Board demonstrates the Si8512 AC Current Sensor. The kit, available for $19.95, includes an assembled & tested evaluation board and documentation.
              Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Karam
                Automated Home Legend
                • Mar 2005

Chris,

Interesting, but they look to me like they're for high frequency currents unless I've misinterpreted datasheet or part number?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Dec 2007

yep - you're right, I was too hasty in reading the graph & table !
                  Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

Working...
                  X