• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EyeOfTheBeholder
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2008

Lighting Wiring Regs Question

Hi,

We are interested in low energy lighting (quite a few down spots) so for the moment we cannot use the dimmable X10 modules. Instead we will be using appliance AW12 in-line modules. Due to the amount of modules we will be using (about 6-10 per floor of our town house) and the fact we will be using multiple lights on one switch, I think it will be easier to consolidate the lighting electrics at a single point in a box. This box will contain all the X10 modules and connections for the switch and lighting power cabling.

To reduce the size of the box, Instead of using several JBs, I want to use connection blocks instead. Please view the diagram below as a demonstration of what I am after. It only shows one of the connections to the lights and switch.

Question is, will this meet the 16ed electrical regulations. The box will be properly marked up stating it contains high voltage etc. I can’t see any reason why it wouldn't meet the regs? Any comments welcome!

Thanks for your help,

Adam.

• katman
    • Jan 2004

Use din rail modules in a consumer unit instead and you wont need any connector blocks or junction boxes. Will also be a lot neater.
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• EyeOfTheBeholder
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Apr 2008

You must think I'm a dumb ass for not thinking of this before!

I have found the DIN module are also a lot cheaper than the inline modules also! Woohoo!

And as you say, if I get a MK CU or similar, it will look good on the wall also!

Thanks for your help!

DER!!!!!

Comment

• EyeOfTheBeholder
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Apr 2008

As stated above we will be using low energy spots. Will this cause a lot of interference with the X10 signals?

We will be pretty much be using low energy bulbs all over the house on several different switches (about 20). Where will be the best place to put filters, if required. Are there any other solutions to enhance the signal quality etc?

One of the main circuits will be for our Study, which will have a fair amount of IT Equipment. Another will be for the TV Sockets (TV, Amp, DVD etc...). Will these also cause any issues with X10??

On another note: we will be getting in a LABC sub contrator to test the electrics and give us the certificate etc. Will he require all the X10 modules removed for testing?

Thanks for your help!

Ad.

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Your in luck my company supplies x10 modules designed for compact fluorescent lighting. Basically they are appliance modules that will also respond to all lights on as well. They also have built in noise filtering, and status.
          If you are interested I can pm you prices and details. Prices are similar to the din modules.
          Last edited by toscal; 28 May 2008, 09:33 PM.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• EyeOfTheBeholder
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Apr 2008

toscal

If you could PM me details of these, how to get hold of them and pricing etc, I would be greatful!

Thanks for your help

Adam.

Comment

• EyeOfTheBeholder
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Apr 2008

Hi

Thanks for the details. Sorry, didn't realise they were not DIN-type.

i am quite interested in keeping with DIN modules due to the neatness and easy expandability of the Consumer Unit they will fit in.

How disruptive are CFLs to X10 signals in reality? Is there any other filtering solutions or boosters to the signal which will combat it?

For example as I will be having 3 lighting circuits, could I just get away with a filter on each circuit between the main CU and the lighting X10 CU? Or do they really need to be between each CFL source and the X10 module?

Thanks

Adam.

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

CFLs can be ok without filtering. But as they get older they do get noisier. The best way to connect up is :
                CFL--FILTER--X10 MODULE---MAINS IN.

Hope this helps.
                IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
                X