• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rah99
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2004

PIRs and pets

Are the Idratek PIRs pet aware? ie will they ignore cats. I couldn't see anything about this in the datasheet for e.g. the LPS-001

While I'm here, is there a minimum load for the SLD and QLD dimmers, again the datasheet is silent on this issue?
    --Rob
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

The PIRs are not pet immune. Quite often pet immunity is achieved by having variations in the optical screen such that the sensitivity is lower in the downward facing part of the sensing volume. The sensor we use is not exactly conical but certainly has no such gradation. So depending on how you mount it wrt to its visual cone it could be triggered by pets. You can I suppose mask off parts of the sensor but its probably fiddly and somewhat trial and error. Better to just use an off the shelf pet immune device and wire into the nearest digital input.

Unlike more conventional dimmers both the SLD and the QLD will work ok with low loads. Certainly 15W incandescent and likely even down to 10W.

Comment

• rah99
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Mar 2004

Thanks for that, in that case I'd better go for a separate pet-immune PIR. I'm having a new kitchen fitted with servo-assisted drawers (Blum ServoDrive) and will be using Cortex's presence detection to only enable power to the servos when there's a human present - got to keep the cats out of the drawers

It will also be used to only turn on the lights when a human is there.
      --Rob

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Visonic do some very good wired pet immune sensors, that work slightly differently. I've used them in several installations and they work very very well.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• rah99
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Mar 2004

I'm either going to go for Visonic or Rokonet I think, unless anyone has any other suggestions?
          --Rob

Comment

• Paul_B
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2006

Sorry to reserect an old thread but has pet immune PIRs changed much over the last 2 - 4 years? I see Visonic are still producing some units but they all seem to be wireless

Paul

Comment

Working...
            X