Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hometronic and Heat Pumps

Automated Home Jr Member

worth considering combis on LPG?

Nick

Automated Home Jr Member

Smile woodburner as adjunct

Hi Nick - I'm at the other end of Staffs from you - Biddulph, Staffs Moorlands; I've been pondering over similar issues recently with my oil boiler getting a little old, no local gas and an interest in home automation and ecofriendlyness - I stumbled across your thread having spotted the term heat pump on automatedhome; I've been wondering whether it would be possible to leave my old oil boiler where it is but augment its heating (when I was organised enough) by plumbing it into some sort of modern super efficient wood burning stove??? (by the way has anyone seen the Dante (http://www.rawheat.co.uk/default.htm) altho that doesn't act as a water heater. I think it will probably be simpler to forget the plumbing bit and just install one of these Dantes and an air circulation system from the roof of the lounge above the fire to other parts of the house - I'd need to find a source of cheap superlagged ducting!! ....just a few thoughts to see if anyone comes back with others! Phil.

Before I got central heating installed my primary heat source was a wood burning fire from Supra http://www.supra.fr/entreprise/Cadre...ise.asp?lng=en
    Not only did it heat the lounge, but vents in the wall behind the fire heated up the hall way, which in turn kept the bedrooms reasonably warm. The fire has two electric fans built in that are temperature controlled. The hotter the fire the faster the fans rpm is.
    It was installed over 10 years ago and still works today. Though now during the winter it only gets used once or twice a week, but it does help to reduce the gas bill.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Jr Member

If it wasn't for the price, woodchip sounds like the best option for us... but looking at over 10k when LPG all in may be less than 3k... Saying that everything is expensive at the moment! Current job is trying to get a lead water main replaced - cheapest quote so far is 9,000. Sayng that compared to the 75,000 quote for gas, sounds like a bargain. Once we've cracked that I think we'll get moving on the rest.

Our log burner - basic villager - is great. We know a tree surgeon so get a lorry load of logs for a few (20) pints of beer, and even that, not attached to the heating system, especially with hometronic, has put a dent in our oil costs.

Of course before the hometronic it used to knock the main thermostat off and the whle house was cold! Saved even more!

Automated Home Jr Member

thanks guys; Nick - only other thing I can think of for you is a decent rainwater harvesting system an UV filtration and forget the new main or a big water cooler-type bottled supply - what's the problem with leaded water as long as you don't drink it?!

Automated Home Jr Member

luckily after all that know some very friendly people who have helped install a new pipe most of the way replacing all the lead... Not quite finished but nearly there and very hard work!

Automated Home Jr Member

Smile ASHP's

Folks, the info you have (and concerns) over ASHP's are likely based on out-dated systems - things have moved on.

I work for Mitsubishi Electric UK who manufacture a unit known as Ecodan, it's a fully inverter driven ASHP designed specifically for domestic install - both new and retrofit. The really important thing to look for is the inverter compressor and fans, this allows you to forget the need for a buffer vessel and any other special allowances.

I've got one on my house (14kW). I'm obviously bias so you'll need to investigate yourself, suffice it to say that COP's are presently 4.0-5.0 (ambient 9c and flow 37c) and never got below 3.0 even at really low ambients. The unit blows all current GSHP's away.

Additionally I'm using Hometronic to control it, very simply. Acid test for my system was that the wife hasn't complained !